Thread: New member from New Zealand intro

Junior SCH Member

New member from New Zealand intro

I'm Andrew Grebneff, fossil praparator in Dunedin, New Zealand.

I've never found that a stock vehicle is just the way I like it, so have a history of shoving bigger engines in or boring out... Honda SL100 which grew to a 145 then 165, two CB750 Fours with 900 kits, CB250RS with XR500 engine VT250 with same XR engine, 1956 VW panelvan with 1.6, 1970 Toyota Crown coupe with Chev 5.4 (should've fitted a 4.o alloy pushrod Toyota 5V-UE engine instead), 1989 Corolla 1.8D DX with 2.0 turbo 2C-T, and have a 84 VW Caravelle with a Subaru Alcyone SVX EG33 and Porsche 911 Turbo 5-speed G50 project which has been progressing in fits & starts for several years, and is stilla long way from even being fired-up. In fact I recently bought a 93 Microbus 2.5i with a sick engine, so the 5-speed and five-cylinder are coming out and the EG33/G50 will go in. And a few weeks ago I bought a written-off 1996 Toyota Carib BZ Touring (AE111 FWD) 20-valve automatic, doors and fenders to replace the bent ones and the bits needed to convert it to 5-speed manual (I have a 6-speed but they are notoriously prone to problems).

For quite a while I have been thinking of supercharging the EG33 in the van. What kind of supercharger... well, turbos (both exhaust-driven and belt-driven like a Paxton) are out, as I don't want a peaky power delivery. Rootses are low-efficiency and produce too much waste heat, so a Lysholm looks like IT.

I can't really afford a new Lysholm, so am having to look for a used unit. Autorotor is the preferred brand (Kenne Bells are Autorotors), but others would be definite possibilities (if anyone knows of a good available unit, please let me know!). I am also not sure what size of unit will be suitable for the 3.3.

Just after buying the Carib I snagged a drivetrain from a 2nd-generation Legacy GT and am thinking of adapting this, with another EG33, into it. I'd have to source a 4WD rear suspension and do some driveshaft-tunnel modifications due to the bulky RWD Subaru trans (the Carib is engineered for 4WD, of course). The other option is to keep the stock 9000RPM 165hp 4A-GE 20-valve, tack a Lysholm onto it and fit the 5-speed. I have my eye on the Eunos 800 (Mazda Sentia or Millenium in export markets) Lysholm... it may not be big enough for the high-revving 1.6.

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum!

You should post some pictures of some of these "projects" you've mentioned. They all sound very interesting.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum!

You should post some pictures of some of these "projects" you've mentioned. They all sound very interesting.
    Thanks!

Here are some images of my vehicles. The Corolla is super(turbo)charged, so it's relevant. That's a late 2C-T engine from a JDM 94 Camry Lumiere. Being a basic commercial, it came with no carpet, rear wiper, rear demister, passenger sunvisor, clock, stereo (AM radio only), rear seat (extended deck), rear seatbelt mount captive nuts or rear door internal releases. It has commercial-only front lights and leaf rear springs (450kg payload). The maroon dash parts came from an upmarket JDM sedan and the front seats from a GL. I have electric windows, locking, mirrors from wrecks which I may eventually fit, as well as a JDM 7-dial Sprinter Cielo (the AE90 liftback) instrument cluster, if I can ever bother to sort the wiring. Anyway, hopefully the turbo will eventually be replaced by a Lysholm, maybe one of those Eunos 800 ones.

The mad bugger in the van with 2 EG33s is me. There are shots of the complete EG33 in the back of the Caravelle, and one of a stainless short winged EG33 sump. Also a pic of the 93 Microbus 2.5i with the 94 parts Camry and 84 Caravelle behind.

Couldn't find pics of my wife's narrow-body Estima 2.2 turbodiesel (wide-bodies were exported as Previa and Tarago).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Grebneff
    Dunedin
    New Zealand
    Fossil preparator & shell collector
    VW & Toyota van nut
    Willing to buy from overseas