Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

lubricating blower

Thread: lubricating blower

Junior SCH Member

lubricating blower

gday new to the forum

im building a ek holden 138 grey motor with a norman supercharger

ive run into a problem with trying to keep the carbys under the hood
    and was thinking of going to a blow through set up
    if i do this there will be nothing lubricating the supercharger
    as there needs to be a oil additive to the fuel for this vain type blower

any sugestions on how to over come this problem ? and how much lube in a blow through set up will i need to use?

cheers dave

Junior SCH Member
    Welcome Dave...

I can not help with an answer but just to say thanks for posting the pictures.

Norman is a new name to me; do those long strips fit in the cylindrical rotor. If so I can see why you need some lubrication...

I hope someone else chimes in to help...

James

Junior SCH Member
    gday james

they are a old skool blower by Eldred Norman
    the 4 vanes are a flop fit so they flop out with centrifical force

there is some info here on the supercharger
    but theres not a lot left out there
    http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinf.../norman23.html

cheers dave

Junior SCH Member
    Dave,

Thanks for posting that link.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinf.../norman23.html

Your unit looks huge compared to the engine size. Looks like an interesting project...care to post any more information while we wait for an answer to your lubrication question?

Have you thought of asking the Fuel and Lube Oil Manufacturers for their opinion? I know Shell have a Research Facility in Cheshire, UK that would possible be able to help.

Looks like we need another Section Heading on this site for Norman if we are to follow the Makes name structure presently used.

James.

Junior SCH Member
    hers a few pics of my car as well

cheers dave
    Last edited by ek61; 05-23-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Junior SCH Member

Ideas

Dave,

OK...I surfed around and found the following...

There was always Redex upper cylinder lubricant...

On this site

http://www.perth4x4.net/forum/archiv...p?t-20439.html

bosca says
    "...diesel is a lubricant at air temperature, <<....>>because the top end of the pump uses diesel as lubricant."

so what about spiking your fuel with some diesel. "Dons flame suit"

I had some interation with the Shell Lubrication experts a few years ago when an additive salesman showed me impressive results for their product. The Gurus at Shell were dismissive to say the least.

Is the Norman SC OEM still in business?

Thanks for the car pictures...what make and year is that...looks in really good condition...judging by the engine you have done a lot of work on the whole car.

James.

That sounds a lot like the Judson Supercharger I put on a 63 VW I had in Germany. It was a little like roots sc, but had some sort of a fiber vanes that came out of the off set rotor, compressed the a/f as it turned.

They used a bottle with a adjustable vent on the cap to regulate the amount oil that was pulled in by engine vacuum. This was in the mid 60s, so I do not remember what type oil it used.
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

Junior SCH Member
    gday thanks 4 the info james will investigate more :o)

my car is a ek holden 1961

393bird it is pretty much the same style by the looks of it im leaning 2wards the vacume idea just trying to work out how much oil is enough

cheers dave

Junior SCH Member

Vane Material and Lubrication - Judson

Looking at Dave's last picture on the first post those vanes look like they are made of the original brown Tufnol. http://www.tufnol.co.uk/tufnol/default.asp

From this link

http://beetle.cabriolets.online.fr/tech/how09.htm

I read

"As the vanes need to be kept well lubricated, oil is fed to the inlet manifold of the Judson from a glass container filled with engine oil. This oil is drawn into the supercharger by inlet vacuum and, after lubricating the vanes, passes into the engine to be burnt along with the fuel. Judson claimed this helped engine longevity by acting as an upper cylinder lubricant."

Judson...yet another section name to add Mr. Adminstrator (Micheal).

James.