Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need help.....bad horsepower

Junior SCH Member

i need help.....bad horsepower

Dear....

I have Weiand 174 18psi......i use it on 351W..418ci with custom cam, custom carb from carb shop, heads 225cc same AFR 225cc

I tested the car on dyno i take just 402hp ... i dont know what is the problem.....some body said the blower is small for this engine????? is it true

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haitham_c6 View Post
    Dear....

I have Weiand 174 18psi......i use it on 351W..418ci with custom cam, custom carb from carb shop, heads 225cc same AFR 225cc

I tested the car on dyno i take just 402hp ... i dont know what is the problem.....some body said the blower is small for this engine????? is it true

Car should make that with out the blower. You need to find out how much cfm the blower is capable of supporting efficiently.

With a 418 and afr 225s I would suggest a blower with a minimum of 1400 cfm.

To answer your question, a 175 sounds very small and as far as roots type blower I would tend to think a 871 would suit you better

Junior SCH Member
    Ok...
    You mean i shuld to chang the blower ????....I'm going between a supercharg like procharger and turbo charg.....do you have Information about that, wich one is better and whay.....

Thanks

Senior SCH Member
    If you look at a super chager again, the Vortech YSI is hard to beat.

After having a supercharged car for a while now and if I had to do it all over again I wish I would of went the route of a turbo. Playing with constant belt tension and pulley ratios gets old after a while.

Plus with the turbo, if everything is set up correctly it will actually be easier on the crank and rods than a supercharger would be. They also usually make more power than a supercharger would.

If you look at a turbo your porbably going to want a 88mm at minimum if you go with a single. I suggest you contact this place http://www.supernaturalturbo.com/ for more information

Junior SCH Member
    Ok....

I'm looking to go to the turbo...but i want ask you about the best....with carb or injectors???

Senior SCH Member

Junior SCH Member
    Hi dear....

Thank you to contact with me .....I have many questions about the turbo..becouse this is first time to use the turbo ...
    I see many turbos but there is big different about the price ...maybe is bad brand...but how can i know that.....i see on ebay like this :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item1e5bdd53ff

Junior SCH Member
    Something doesn't add up. Are you sure you got 18 PSI? I didn't think a 174 can produce 18 PSI on a 400 plus cubic inch engine with those heads unless you have way to small a cam. (or you're spinning it so fast it's heating the air up causing a false boost reading) What amount of overdrive do you have it pulleyed at? What is your compression ratio?
    Last edited by Greg D; 05-24-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Vortech YSI Supercharged
    CSU 1000 HP with PCI Superbowls
    1182 HP/1140 Tq w/17 PSI
    Avg HP 4000-6500 RPM = 1051
    Avg Tq 4000-6500 RPM = 1050

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    After having a supercharged car for a while now and if I had to do it all over again I wish I would of went the route of a turbo. Playing with constant belt tension and pulley ratios gets old after a while.
    Are you currently swapping to a turbo or it's a futur plan?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    Are you currently swapping to a turbo or it's a futur plan?

Kind of happy where I am at but if I ever get the extra cash to throw away or need to step up power.........there will be a turbo on it

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D View Post
    Something doesn't add up. Are you sure you got 18 PSI? I didn't think a 174 can produce 18 PSI on a 400 plus cubic inch engine with those heads unless you have way to small a cam. (or you're spinning it so fast it's heating the air up causing a false boost reading) What amount of overdrive do you have it pulleyed at? What is your compression ratio?
    this is my upper pulley : PowerCharger Pulley 10–Rib 2.66 in. Dia. Upper (90541) from holley

and 6.00" Lower pulley...

8.5 compression ratio
    Last edited by haitham_c6; 06-02-2010 at 12:14 AM.

SCH Member
    At 6000rpm, with your pulleys ratio, the blower is spinning at 13533rpm and the theorical boost should be 9.32psi.

Junior SCH Member
    now i want go to turbo or procharger....i want the best

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haitham_c6 View Post
    now i want go to turbo or procharger....i want the best
    A procharger is probably easier to install and will give you plenty hp.
    A turbo (single or twin) needs a lot of piping

I would say it depends what kind of car do you have?

Junior SCH Member
    i have 99 mustang