Thread: Crankcase ventilation - is this sufficient ??

Junior SCH Member

Crankcase ventilation - is this sufficient ??

Just looking for opinions on venting the crankcase on a 347 Ford w/Novi 1220.

If I run a breather on the passenger side valve cover and a breather in place of the PCV with the oil fill vent hose removed/blocked - will this be enough ??

What about 2 breathers on the passenger side cover ?? I'd have to drill a hole for the 2nd breather.

I really would like to run a breather on each valve cover, but can't find valve covers where the breather or riser will fit under the EFI intake on the driver side. Anybody know if there are such valve covers with the vent hole far enough forward to avoid interference with the upper intake ??

Thanks,
    Scott

Junior SCH Member
    I run a stroked small block dodge with pcv and a exhaust vented breather on each valve cover, this stopped all my oil blow by

Junior SCH Member
    Not sure about your engine design. I did a lot of searching when designing my crankcase breather system.

During my search I saw high performance engines with a breather on both valve covers performing well as I recall. If there is a restriction due to inadequate breather capacity and crankcase pressure builds up; you could see it as the oil dip stick lifts and oil is forced out. This is better than blown seals. If the dipstick lifts you know that you need more breather capacity.

There are vacuum pumps for forced evacuation of the crankcase.