Thread: Squeak

Junior SCH Member

Squeak

Greetings,

I have a jaguar in which I've upgraded the upper and lower pulleys on the OEM supercharger and now the first time I start the car in the morning, there is a squeak for 3-5 minutes then it goes away for the rest of the day. The next morning it would squeak again and after warming up 3-5 minutes it goes away again. Currently it has a Dayco Belt. Do you think I should change belt to another brand? If so, are Gate's belt any good? Also, if you don't think it's the belt, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Loose belts squeak.

As an inexpensive and temporary fix you could try a "belt dressing" spray, which you should be able to get at any auto parts store. This should help reduce or even eliminate the squealing you're getting.

But this is only a temporary solution and you'll more than likely either have to readjust the tension of the existing belt drive or get a new belt. Gates belts are considered t be quite good by many of the folks here on the forum, but your belt brand may not be the issue, it may be belt length or improperly adjusted belt tension.

Did these upgraded pulleys come as a kit? If so, was there a replacement belt included or were you supposed to re-use your original belt?

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks guys for the info. The kit did come with aftermarket belt. It isn't the OEM belt due to the smaller upper and larger lower pulley. The local speed shop who installed it for me advised he checked and double checked and everything was installed properly.

The company who I bought the kit did send another belt and after installing the 2nd belt, it was quiet for about 2 week but then the squeak started to come back and now it's every morning when I first start the car.

Because when the new belt was installed and was fine for two weeks, I'm thinking it's the belt but thought I'd check to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Also, could belt tensioner be a cause for belt squeak? Reason I ask is there is a service bulletin out for my car for belt tensioner.

Just looking at all possibilities. Any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!