Thread: Belt issues

Junior SCH Member

Belt issues

Just got done with doing an a/c delete, compressor went south, and when I tried finding the right size belt, I'm having issues. The current setup on my 86' mustang has an SN92, with the snog pump and alternator relocated lower, using a cobra water pump pulley and a one piece crank that has 4" underdrive and 7" sc.
    So far I have tried an 82 1/8", which was barely able to slide on, but once the tensioner is on it, starts to rub the water pump pulley. I tried another one which was slightly smaller, possible 81 7/8" and it wont clear the pulley to get on.

I have read around about people reclocking the tensioner, but this wont work in my case. ANy Suggestions?
    Keep the old school, old school

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86notch View Post
    Just got done with doing an a/c delete, compressor went south, and when I tried finding the right size belt, I'm having issues. The current setup on my 86' mustang has an SN92, with the snog pump and alternator relocated lower, using a cobra water pump pulley and a one piece crank that has 4" underdrive and 7" sc.
    So far I have tried an 82 1/8", which was barely able to slide on, but once the tensioner is on it, starts to rub the water pump pulley. I tried another one which was slightly smaller, possible 81 7/8" and it wont clear the pulley to get on.

I have read around about people reclocking the tensioner, but this wont work in my case. ANy Suggestions?
    I have a plate that moves my tensioner over by the PS pump.

Junior SCH Member
    Before my vintage Paxton belt "settled in", I compressed the tensioner, removed a pulley from one of the SN2000's, dropped the belt into the pulley groove, and then reinstalled the pulley.

- Aggressor

Junior SCH Member
    @CiDhed. What plate did you use? do you have any pictures of your setup?

Junior SCH Member
    The plates are unique to this car and are modeled after Carroll Shelby's one remaining SuperSnake. The plates were custom made using 1/4 masonite for the mockup. I used 1/4 steel plate for the final product. With 800 Horse and only 2400 pounds of vehicle weight I wasn't concerned with carrying a few pounds of extra steel. Images are provided for your review.

-Aggressor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    I just realized you were looking for a response from @CiDhed and not me.

I was flagged in my email to respond to the thread.

-Aggressor

Junior SCH Member
    Nice setup. My question is in regards to the accessory belt tensioner. Not the slide on the Paxton units. I like the cleaner look without the A/C but it is looking like going back to the A/C might be my only success.