Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project StangIt - 91 LX Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project StangIt - 91 LX Build

Project StangIt - 91 LX Build

I bought a 91 LX and saved it from leftover drag racer crusher hell. I think I got a great deal! The car has 4.10's in the 8.8, aftermarket control arms, drag shocks, re-enforced welds, 4pt roll bar, tubular sub-frame connectors, drive shaft loop, red urthane everywhere and a really straight body.

I got the name from a busted a knuckle while working on it in front of my little girl and dang it slipped out and progressed to saying StangIt every time I got fed up with something. =)

Here are some begining pics, I hope to have more as I progress:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

The Begining

My first step is to clean and smooth under the hood, nothing major like a show car.
    Last edited by SScott; 07-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    "The older I get, the more I realize how little I knew when I knew it all."

Got it in the Garage

Got the wires off

Got the rust off

Made a cardboard template

Sheet metal from JC Whitney

Undercoated bare metal

Starting the Spot Weld

Had to stop here, my welder stopped feeding the wire and I was too tired to figure it out.

Had help today... Didn't get much done but had a great time with the help!

Got the panel welded in, grinded down, fillered up and smoothed out... Sounds like something at waffle house =)

Took a lot longer than I thought it would, I had to go get a new grinder.

Finished the panel. Primers still wet.

More later... =)
    Last edited by SScott; 07-31-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Got the drivers side done:

All done and ready for paint tomorrow!!!

Got the paint on, I hope it flattens out more, everyone has been asking questions on the Paint Shop paints from Dupli-Color so I wanted to try it out. I already have the Hot-Rod Flat for the car but just wanted to see this stuff in action.

The paint flattened out real nice, I like it a lot.

Last edited by SScott; 07-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Got the manual MS installed. Found out my double flaring tool was junk and had to get another one. Got the ignition mounted and may throw the motor/tranny in tomorrow while I can get a little help and then go back to stabbing parts.

Well I thought I would have the motor and tranny in, but it took for ever to pull it and get the tranny mounted to the motor. I did snap a pic of my cool new Hays Pressure Plate and DF clutch. Got to go on a trip to Colorado so I doubt I will get much done for a couple weeks but I am going to try and squeeze something in when I get back in a few days.

Just got back and decided to slide the drive train in. Makes me happy to see it starting to look like a car.

Got the poly tranny mounts to go with the solid motor mounts. Some folks hate the vibration... I live for it! I'd rather listen to the sweet roar of the dumped flowmasters than a high end Alpine system any day! =)

Gotta do the kinda work to get paid now... sux =(
    Last edited by SScott; 07-31-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Got the front clip bolted on. Needs a lot of work but that is for later.

I just laid the hood on to see how it looks. I like it.

Almost have it running. Maybe this weekend it will move on power other than me. =)

Saying good bye to the 86.

Sporting the 4x4 look!

Enough ground clearance to clear a volvo! I may put the 4 cyl springs on there, I liked the way the 86 sat up front.

Got some wiring and hiding to do and putting my small Accel dist. on so my nitrous will clear.

Digging the flat black parts.

Well, after a bunch of blood, beer and back pain, it's alive! I drove it about 50 miles and it is a beast! The tires break loose thru 4th without trying. Can't wait to get the 2 stages hooked up and some sticky meat!

Spent a long time just getting the fender gap where it is now, still need A LOT of work!

Put the 4 cyl. springs on after cutting a 1/4 coil off, it is so low now I have to have camber plates (when ever the $ comes back).

I really like the VHT blackout stuff! Notice my kinda hidden moroso kill switch? I wonder if the cops will?

The dash is no where near perfect but I'd say it is an improvement over what it was when I got it!

The day I got it home:

Here is where I am today. I have made a few changes. I put coil overs on the front, a new cross member. Ditched the nitrous and got a D-1B blower that I am working on. Installed a hurst shifter. Cut the 87-93 hood to fit and will finish it later and polished the wheels.

I will be rebuilding the D1 so i will post pics of my build as soon as I get everything.