Thread: air inlet filters

Junior SCH Member

air inlet filters

what is a correct type of inlet filter to use on my sn-60? I'V seen all types, most seem to use a tapered filter. some attached directly to the blower inlet. is ths ok? in the past paxton used a large air filter as used on early mustangs. thanks. Bill

Almost all the air filters that I've seen on SN blowers are mounted directly to the blower's inlet port. The saying goes that centrifugal superchargers love to blow, but they don't like to suck. That means there's very little (if any) performance gain in installing an intake pipe or tube to the blower's inlet and mounting the air filter to the other end of the intake; if you have to move the filter so it doesn't ingest water, then an inlet pipe is fine.

The filter that came with the SN-89 that I have is a round/cylindrical K&N unit with a 3.375" (86mm) flange diameter, 4.375" (112mm) overall diameter, 4.6875" (120mm) filter length, and 0.8125" (20mm) flange length. Unfortunately, there's no model number on it and I can't seem to find it on K&N's website under their universal filters listing. I think this filter might have been a custom application.

However, almost any universal cylindrical/conical style filter with a 3.375" (86mm) inside flange diameter and a 0.625" (16mm) to 0.75" (19mm) flange length will work. Just make sure the overall length of the filter won't cause it to interfere with anything that might be located behind the blower itself (like the exhaust manifold, brake master cylinder, strut tower or tower brace, etc...) If you go to the K&N website and look under their universal filters listing, you'll find several cylindrical and conical shaped filters that will fit.

Here's an example of one who's dimensions should work for an SN:
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RU-5168

Hope that helps.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks michael. that is what I will use