Thread: Original Crank Bolt??

Junior SCH Member

Original Crank Bolt??

Hello,

I have a 92 Mustang with a SN-85, that was installed when I bought the car. I went to roll the engine over to check the adjustment on the rockers, it has a full Crane roller system, and found there's a 12 point bolt holding the drive pulley on. Is this something that would have been in the installation kit from Paxton, or changed out by the previous owner? If anyone has come across this, what size would the bolt be. I can barely get in between the fan and pulley to check by hand. I'm over 40 and this is my first Ford, usually Chev, so I'm not even sure if the car came with this bolt stock.
    Also I was wondering how often the oil should be changed in the supercharger? I never got any books for the supercharger with the car, but the car itself only has 13000 miles on it.
    Thanks.
    Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to SCH.

The fluid in your SN should be changed approximately every 3000 miles or so. Use only Type 'F' ATF (the general consensus is that Valvoline brand ATF Type 'F' is the one to use). Draining can be done using a turkey baster, but if you conduct a search on the forum here members have described some innovative ways of syphoning the fluid without having to remove the head unit. 8oz-10oz should fill the unit. If the supercharger itself has an oil cooler installed, you may be able to go longer between fluid change intervals, but in the interest of longevity the more frequent the fluid changes the better. If you race the vehicle (or intend to race it) you should plan on changing the fluid after each race session/day.

As for the 12 point crank bolt, I don't know whether it's something that came in the Paxton installation kit or whether it was/is standard on Ford engines (I'm a Chevy guy so I won't even harbor a guess). A quick call to a Ford dealer might be prudent; I'm sure they could easily tell you if Mustangs of that generation came with 12 point crank bolts as OEM.

Hope that helps.

Senior SCH Member

I'm a Chevy guy too, but I have had a number ford small block cars over the years. If my memory is right all of them had standard hex heads. Perhaps someone along it's life time replaced it with an ARP bolt like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AR...2501/?rtype=10

Welcome to the Forum, best of luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Strickland View Post
    Perhaps someone along it's life time replaced it with an ARP bolt like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AR...2501/?rtype=10
    Ockham's Razor: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Buck, I think you nailed it.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-15-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Many thanks to everyone. You all nailed it. It's obviously time to change the oil as I don't know when it was changed last and the bolt is a 5/8 and more than likely the ARP replacement. Finally able to turn it over and check the rockers.
    Cheers
    Dan