Thread: Centrifugal supercharger and low gear

SCH Member

Centrifugal supercharger and low gear

Guys,

I'm currently running a 3.0 rear end gear and I'd like to keep it because here, in Belgium, most of time, I cruise at 60 mph @ 2500rpm and on the highway, I cruise at 70 mph @ 3000rpm.

To be honnest, 95% of the time, I cruise at 60 mph so my question is: "Is it compatible with a centrifugal supercharger?"

For my next engine, I'm planning to make the supercharger running at 90% in order to get at least 14psi of boost. I believe this should work well with a low gear?

Thanks

I think the rear-end gear ratio will have very little (if anything) to do with the supercharger; more will depend on what pulley size(s) you install on the crank and supercharger themselves. If you are spending most of your cruising time between 2500 rpm and 3000 rpm then you'll more than likely want a pulley set that will keep the supercharger spinning relatively low so that it isn't developing much (if any) boost while cruising; you'll want the boost to come on beyond 3000 rpm when you really 'get on it'. That is, unless you WANT to supercharger to develop boost while you're cruising... but that will put quite a bit of strain on the blower as well as cause your fuel consumption to sky-rocket!

Of course, this heavily depends on what supercharger (brand/model) you plan to use. Once you narrow that down, it will become much easier to pin-point exactly what size of pulleys (both crank and blower) you should use for your particular situation.

SCH Member
    Thanks Michael,

I'm hesitating between a Procharger D1SC (as we spoke by email) or a Paxton Novi 2000. Both could give a lot of hp and as I'm planning to install an intercooler as well + a water/meth injection, this will cool for sure the intake air charge.

I will play, as you said, with the different pulleys in order to get what I want.

Dylan