Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Meth. with an SN89 ??

Thread: Meth. with an SN89 ??

Junior SCH Member

Meth. with an SN89 ??

I have an SN89 on my 93GT and am thinking about getting a meth injection kit to cool the intake charge. Anybody run one with ther SN series, any problems? Would this also help keep the supercharger fluid temps down like an external cooler would?

Lots of guys here are running meth injection with their SN's and (from what I've seen and read) there haven't been any complaints. Our resident SN moderator and expert speedytang wrote a very informative two-part water/alcohol injection (same as meth injection) tech article in the "Charge Cooling Systems" section of the forum. If you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest reading through it - great info there.

Unless the meth injection system is mounted before the blower's impeller (I haven't seen a system like that) it will do almost nothing with respect to lowering the fluid temperature within the charger. Most meth injection systems that I've seen have their injector(s)/jet(s) mounted somewhere between the blower and the throttle body, well after the supercharger itself.

With that said, the best way to lower the fluid temperatures of any SN is an external cooler.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-26-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply. The Mr. Freeze kit I was looking at actually injects before the supercharger (after the maf),would that make a difference?. On the oil cooler subject I was thinking of running the oil cooler lines through my transmission cooler on my radiator. My car is a 5spd. but the aluminum radiator I have can be used for AT/manual,any thoughts?

SCH Member
    you won't get the same cooling as with a stand alone cooler. I wouldn't bother with it unless you are ready to go the stand alone route. I have an external cooler, and over 10,000 miles on the Paxton w/o any wear issues. They do help considerably, especially in hot climates or extended use, both of which apply to my situation.

Z. Ray

'65 K code

Quote Originally Posted by steel1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The Mr. Freeze kit I was looking at actually injects before the supercharger (after the maf),would that make a difference?.
    I didn't realize the Mr. Freeze kit mounted the methanol jet(s) prior to the blower itself. Good to know. But to answer your question, I don't think it would have any significant effect in dropping the fluid temperature within the blower itself. And if it did, it would probably be pretty marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by steel1 View Post
    On the oil cooler subject I was thinking of running the oil cooler lines through my transmission cooler on my radiator. My car is a 5spd. but the aluminum radiator I have can be used for AT/manual,any thoughts?
    I agree with zray on this. Running a stand-alone oil cooler will give you the best results. That's not to say that you couldn't use the A/T fluid inlet and outlet on your radiator, but it won't be as effective as a stand-alone oil cooler for the blower. And, by going with a stand-alone fluid cooler setup, you have the opportunity to step up to a larger heat exchanger in the future if you find need too; it's more difficult to do using your radiator's A/T fluid inlet/outlet.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-25-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Good info, Thanks everyone!