Thread: Help needed: SN93 Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley

Junior SCH Member

Help needed: SN93 Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley

I have a 1992 Z28 (350 TPI): Does anyone know of a source for the serpentine belt idler pulley that mounts to the upper left of the blower bracket (as you look at the engine). Its the small steel 6 rib pulley. Mine has siezed and (quite litterally) smoked the serpentine belt.

I did a search at summit racing and the Weiand 6799 idler pulley looks like exactly what I need. I still need to remove the pulley from the car and measure the dimensions. I cannot seem to find any dimensions on the Weiand pulley.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: According to my original build sheet dated 11/20/1992 the Serpintine Idler Assembly was Paxton part #: 1210500

R/

Frat
    Last edited by Fratsit; 09-15-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added more information

Junior SCH Member
    Just got off the phone with Craig at Paradise Wheels. He has the entire assembly in stock so I ordered one. I am going to send him my old one for an R&R, that way I will have another on hand in the event this happens again.

Great site here. I have learned alot from it over the years.

R/

Frat

Hi Frat.

Glad to see you're found a fix for your idler pulley problem. Good idea about having a spare unit on hand, but here's to hoping you'll never have to use it.

Junior SCH Member
    Michael,

I am with you, hope I dont encounter this again. Paradise Wheels stated these pulleys typically last around 30,000 miles. I copied the bearing numbers down off of the new pulley assembly and am going to try to source them locally and rebuild the old one myself.

For anyone that is interested the entire pulley assembly (pulley, bearing, shaft, and retaining bolt) is 125 plus shipping through Paradise Wheels. I shipped Priority Mail to the east coast and got it yesterday.

Thanks again.

R/

Frat

Good info on the price of the new pulley assembly - thanks!

Best of luck with the install of the new pulley assembly. Let us know if you run into any issues, and post back once everything is buttoned back up and running right.