Thread: Moving NoviGSS compressor discharge tube location

Junior SCH Member

Moving NoviGSS compressor discharge tube location

Hi all, I just ran into a bit of a speed bump installing a Novi GSS SC on a 1985 Chevy Small block TPI engine. I picked the unit up here some time ago with the intent of installing it on a freshly reworked 383. Anyhow, when I started to mock up the installation I noticed that the S.C. discharge output is on the wrong side (Left side of S.C.) instead of the right side. The discharge tube cannot be connected. The setup would work if I was mounting the SC. on the right side of the engine with a surpentine belt, but that is not the case, as it is mounted on the left side of the engine. So... my question is... can I losen the front bolts and rotate the rear of the case so that the discharge tube output of the supercharger is next to the TPI and in the right place for me connect the discharge tube. If so is there somethig that I need to aware of as the my concern is messing up the alignment and or damaging any seal. P.S.. If I can do this what would the bolts need to be torqued to...

thanks...:weird:

Junior SCH Member
    the gss case is held together by torks screws around the outside of the case. the scroll housing can be clocked in any position you wish as long as you line up the scroll housing screw holes with the front housing. to split the case on mine i used a screw i believe it was a 5/16 and screwed it into one of the holes in the front housing that was tapped with threads and when the screw bottoms out into the rear housing it will split the cases apart. the ball drive is screwed together with its own assembly so nothing should fall out. just be sure to keep the oil dipstick in the vertical position so the oil pump pickup is in the right position. there is a large o-ring between the cases and the torque on the case screws is not really critical on the gss. i just used a 3/8 ratchet on mine. the torque is probably around 20 foot pounds.

Junior SCH Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zipnz View Post
    the gss case is held together by torks screws around the outside of the case. the scroll housing can be clocked in any position you wish as long as you line up the scroll housing screw holes with the front housing. to split the case on mine i used a screw i believe it was a 5/16 and screwed it into one of the holes in the front housing that was tapped with threads and when the screw bottoms out into the rear housing it will split the cases apart. the ball drive is screwed together with its own assembly so nothing should fall out. just be sure to keep the oil dipstick in the vertical position so the oil pump pickup is in the right position. there is a large o-ring between the cases and the torque on the case screws is not really critical on the gss. i just used a 3/8 ratchet on mine. the torque is probably around 20 foot pounds.

Great, thank you.. I had a hunch, but was not willing to take the chance considering what a mistake would cost $$$. So, if I understand.... I will need to loosen and remove all the front troque screws and then use a longer screw of the same thread type.... screw it in until it hits bottom on the rear case... continue pushing the screw through and that will break the seal...

Once I have the right location for the scrole housing where I need it and all the holes line up... I reinsert all the original bolts..... AH YES the oil dipstick MUST be VERY near the 12:00 position.. YES???

Junior SCH Member
    Sounds like you have a good idea of how to do the job.
    The tork screws are 1/4", you want use 5/16" course screws to crack the case.
    Just make sure you use one of the holes in the front housing that are not threaded 1/4" into the scroll housing.
    After i crack the case with the 5/16 screws in a couple places i just use a flat blade screwdriver and gently pry the cases apart in a few places.
    You will be supprised how simple the procedure is once you are finished, like i said earlier just pay close attention to the oil pickup when assembling it together to be certain it does not move out of position.
    In the picture you can see the oil pump alignment in relation to the dip stick and the big o-ring in the front housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipnz View Post
    Sounds like you have a good idea of how to do the job.
    The tork screws are 1/4", you want use 5/16" course screws to crack the case.
    Just make sure you use one of the holes in the front housing that are not threaded 1/4" into the scroll housing.
    After i crack the case with the 5/16 screws in a couple places i just use a flat blade screwdriver and gently pry the cases apart in a few places.
    You will be supprised how simple the procedure is once you are finished, like i said earlier just pay close attention to the oil pickup when assembling it together to be certain it does not move out of position.
    In the picture you can see the oil pump alignment in relation to the dip stick and the big o-ring in the front housing.
    THANK YOU SOOO. much. finally got around to it this weekend.. did what you recommended.. and everything came out just right :) I the only thing I didn't do was torque the bolts down, as I was not sure of the lbs..

P.S. I did try something slighlty different and it worked. I had picked up this cool tool from Home Depot that you can use as a scaper, screwdriver, cutting blade... really cool and sturdy.. looks like a funky spakling tool about the size of a 4- 5 tool. I used it to split the case sooooo very carefully and it worked like a charm... I use the tool a lot to scape of gaskets etc... just an FYI...

Thanks again..

Now all I need to lookinto is where can I tap a boost guage from and should I connect a bypass valve... running what I beleave will be a low boost... standard GSS with a three pully (thin) setup...

Thank again...