Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

air pump delete on a s-trim

Thread: air pump delete on a s-trim

Junior SCH Member

air pump delete on a s-trim

Has anyone on here taken out their emissions plumbing on a 86-93 s-trim kit?

I have everything off and I went to put in the motorsport air pump delete pulley and it doesn't seem right.

First their is a 4-5"x1" bracket going from the alternator to the bottem of the functional air pump. The ford delete pulley has no provision for this bracket to attach to the delete pulley bracket, is there something I am missing? Plus the bracket cannot make it to the bracket without interferance. I find it hard to believe that bracket between the alternator and pulley can be omitted because the alternator can walk then under load. Is there another bracket I need or does this get left out?

Also if you are familiar with what I am talking about does the ribbed part of the air pump delete pulley face the fendor so you can see it as you look at the blower bracketry? I had the air pump delete bracket polished before I installed it and the smooth rounded part of the bracket is facing the motor where it isn't visible. This is the only way the pulley would fit so I assumed I was on the right track.

Lastly I have a set of aluminum world product heads on the car and I took off the thermactor plumbing on the back of the cylinder heads, are all heads threaded on those passages that you know of? I felt the hole and it doesn't feel like it is threaded. I will pick up inserts from ford tomorrow and give it a try. I will need to plug those passages for sure.

Thanks for the help, I thought that air pump would be a 20 minute job tonight, I was a little ways off on that guestimate.
    Chris
    89 GT convrt
    s-trim, heads, cam, intake, etc.

SCH Member
    Do u have any idea if the 86-93 smog pump set-up is any diferent then the 94-95 one? I know on my 94GT i just removed the pump, and ran a short belt. Simply bypassed it, as u would on a N/A car.. i dont run any delete or dummy pulleys. Have u tried to run a short belt and just bypass it? I know it worked for my 94 S-trim set-up.
    Vibrant Red 94GT

Senior SCH Member
    you cannot use that bracket w/a s/c. there is no provision for the alternator stay to bolt to.If you buy another one make sure that the sales person knows it is for a supercharged car.If they seem like they don't know the diff...call another vendor.I've installed a ton of them...The easiest way to plug holes in back of heads is to just flip metal tubing around(180Degrees)Voila..Crimp or weld tubing ends...You're correct..should have been 30 min job....however..murphys law...

Junior SCH Member
    Midnight,

What brands have you installed for this, is one better than the other? I want to get one on order today.

Thanks,
    Chris
    89 GT convrt

Junior SCH Member
    I believe that the ASP smog pump delete has the provision for the alternator stay. Check the website
    11.69 @113 mph A-trim pushing 11PSI Stock heads, Stock intake,BBK exhaust, Luniati cam,pro-m 75,255 walbro pump,Tremec 3550,Centerforce clutch.

Junior SCH Member
    I just ordered the asp unit from summit.

thanks guys.
    Chris
    89 GT convrt

Junior SCH Member
    NO problem!!
    11.69 @113 mph A-trim pushing 11PSI Stock heads, Stock intake,BBK exhaust, Luniati cam,pro-m 75,255 walbro pump,Tremec 3550,Centerforce clutch.

I use the ASP delete on my blown 88 ,,, not problem,,, Bee

Junior SCH Member
    I also have the ASP delete, with no problems!!
    **93 Calypso Green LX 5.0, 1 of 654**
    BBK Ceramic coated shorties, Stainless H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, underdrive pullies, and 3:55 gears!

**89 LX 5.0**
    Vortech S-Trim with AFM Powerpipe, Pro-M with 36lb injectors, Kirban AFPR, FMS ceramic coated headers, Hedman Offroad H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 gears, and a few gauges!

**90 LX 2.3**
    88hp of one wheel spinning fury. The best 835.79 spent so far!

I used the UPR piece...
    1993 LX 347, S-trim (renegade pulley) FoxLake Prepped TFS heads, Built C4 with 4500 stall, 525 rwhp, est. 10.5 @ 135 mph.

1993LX Silver with black interior, Cobra R's.. mostly stock.. MAC CatBack

Junior SCH Member
    Summit will have it to me on Thursday if the fedex guys don't lose my order. I have had some replies on other boards saying people had to notch and clearance the asp bracket and/or the vortech bracket, any of you guys run into that? I was looking last night when working on the car and there seems to be plenty of room down there.

Tonight I will begin long tube header fun, I have everything out so I will install the passenger side while waiting for my smog delete. It is nice having all of that emissions plumbing out of the car and the headers off while working on other issues.

Were you able to find anything that fits cleanly into the vacuum port where the thermactor bypass/diverter valves vacuum lines will be removed? I am talking about the black rubber square on the passenger fender. I hate to put screws in there but I am having a hard time finding anything laying around for a plug that will be un-noticeable at car shows and cruise-in's.
    Chris
    89 GT convrt

SCH Member
    I just got my UPR piece and it looks like I will have to drill the hole out in the top one or thread it so I can properly mount the blower bracket.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Junior SCH Member
    APS bolted on in litterally about 5 minutes, it lined up great, and all holes were correct.
    Chris
    89 GT convrt

I have used the ASP with a couple of head units. It is a direct bolt in with an s-trim...If you upgrade to a YS then you have to file it down slightly.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage