Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mustang replacement head unit

Thread: Mustang replacement head unit

SCH Member

Mustang replacement head unit

It appears there is some demand for the vr4 kits, unfortunately it looks like the wait will go on again for others looking to upgrade.(thinking it was like a unicorn)
    Does anyone know of another higher boost head unit which might bolt to the sn brackets? I'm thinking the standard high output impeller upgrade wont be enough and waiting additional years for a vr4 upgrade doesn't seem practical any more.

Thanks,
    Mike

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. Don't really think a SN with a HO impeller will be enough for my goals and it seems the idea of a vr4 in any reasonable timeframe from now is nothing but a pipe dream. Might just have to bite the bullet and change to a Paxton Novi series or maybe a vortech head unit and deal with the bracket issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 88t.birdsc View Post
    It appears there is some demand for the vr4 kits, unfortunately it looks like the wait will go on again for others looking to upgrade.(thinking it was like a unicorn)
    Does anyone know of another higher boost head unit which might bolt to the sn brackets? I'm thinking the standard high output impeller upgrade wont be enough and waiting additional years for a vr4 upgrade doesn't seem practical any more.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Have you tried contacting Paradise Wheels regarding a VR4? I know they were going to make a short production run of VR4 kits, and were gathering names for a group-buy. If you haven't done so yet, you might want to give them a call and find out what the status of the group-buy is.

Senior SCH Member
    It seems like someone could build a billet impeller that was between the HO and VR4, but still fit the stock case.

I see on ebay that people make replacement Vortech impellers, maybe contacting one of them about an improved impeller design for the standard SN case. Even at $4-500 for a billet impeller there might still be demand.

Maybe a turbo repair company could machine a better turbo impeller to fit? Just some thoughts on the subject.

Lot of units out there, might be an untapped market.

I wonder if Paxton(the original owners) ever investigated that idea as a cheaper alternative to the VR4.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Some food for thought;
    I have driven and rebuild a SN93 for 2 years, then I found a stuck VR$ that I used the good parts of and driven 2 years and rebuild it twice until I decided to sell it and buy a used Novi 2000, it flows the same as a VR4 and almost fit the SN bracket, I had to cut some of the bracket and dril some extra holes, and now it fits the SN bracket.
    Made a T in the oilpressure sensor and tap the oilpan and that's it.
    I should have done it earlyer, drive it 2 years allready without problems.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    What I am wondering is can an off the shelf impeller from a novi or vortech supercharger be fitted to a SN with a little work. Then all that would need to be made from scratch is the rear housing or an adapter plate to use a rear housing cover from a different head unit. If the impeller is the hardest part to make, then you could save a lot of effort by not having to make one.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    To come to a the 1400 cfm flow you need the Novi 2000 impeller, the rearcover has the same 4" inlet and 3" discharge as VR4, I don't think you can customise the rearcover perfectley.
    It would cost a lot of money for parts and machine work.
    It can be done by cutting of the old pipes and weld in 3" and 4" piping and do a lot of grinding and cutting with special machines and then make a spacer ring.
    I'd step up to a Novi 2000 headunit.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you tried contacting Paradise Wheels regarding a VR4? I know they were going to make a short production run of VR4 kits, and were gathering names for a group-buy. If you haven't done so yet, you might want to give them a call and find out what the status of the group-buy is.
    I bought my sn2000 kit from him a few years ago and he either told me or I read that he considers the vr4 a race only blower. It's probably a financial issue with him and he can make more money selling sn blowers then retool to sell a small number of higher quality upgrade parts.
    It would appear to make sense if he did manufacture the vr4 parts and we collectively used them as people would be suprised to see a cheaper self contained blower competing with some of the higher end units. He would then likely see a spike in his cheaper kit sales with customers knowing they had future upgrade avenue.
    Of course this is just speculation and I would look forward to hear his reasoning if he has stated otherwise.
    I'm glad you took over the site Michael. Many thanks for a job well done!

Mike

Junior SCH Member
    PW may say it's race only, but have read on here of people using them on the street without issue. A cooler would likely be a very good idea.

I know that Craig @ Paradise Wheels believes the VR4 is strictly a race-only blower, however a short time ago J.R. Granatelli - the man behind the Paxton company - posted in a thread here on SCH dispelling some of the myths which have been floating around re: Paxton and their products. In this post, he states that a VR4 with an oil cooler can be run on the street indefinitely.

Here's a link to the post; the information re: the VR4 is down near the bottom.

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/show...34&postcount=9

And if you haven't done so already, I urge you to read through Mr. Granatelli's entire post regarding Paxton's history. Here's the link to the thread where it's posted (Mr. Granatelli's post starts at #9):

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/show...3634#post63634