Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Possible VR4 source
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible VR4 source

Senior SCH Member

Possible VR4 source

Here is a copy of an email conversation I had with Solanki performance http://www.solankiperformance.com/ .
    I dropped them an email to see if they had any VR4 kits for sale.
    “Mike, sorry for the late reply. I have everything except for the impellers. I have the internals and scroll covers ready, but the impellers are not ready. It has been over a year waiting on the impellers. “

“Mike, I will keep you posted. The factory VR-4 impeller is cast aluminum and it has some limitations. I am trying to make them out of 6061 billet aluminum. This way they are stronger because of density and more accurate. The scroll covers are cast as original and came out beautiful. I will let you know.”
    Would you like me to pass the word along to others?
    “Mike, that is fine. You can pass it along. At this time, I have 4 scroll covers in my hand and 10 more behind them. I have the HD billet aluminum race retainers and the HD bellevue washers. I just don't have the impellers. If push comes to shove, I will just get some cast ones made up. I do have 2 complete VR-4's on 2 of my cars that i could remove the impeller from for a sample.”
    Any idea on pricing for an up-grade kit?
    “Pricing should be around $675 for all the parts including the impeller.”

This information was from Nash of Solanki Performance as of 10/11/2010. nimeshsolanki@hotmail.com

Senior SCH Member

Update

"Mike, here are the 3 scroll covers I have in stock. I just polished them. They turned our great. The other 10 will be in my hands by next week. If my CNC guy cannot furnish the impellers in the next 2 weeks, I will be forced to pull off my VR4 impeller off my car and just get them casted. I may also cast them in magnesium since it will be 1/3rd the weight.

Nash"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I know what I am getting myself for christmas.

Junior SCH Member
    I would be interested in a magnesium VR4 impeller.

I just broke(an hour ago) a heavy cast VR4 style impeller I got out of an VR70 indusrial blower. I was using it in my SN converted VR57 factory supercharger on my '57 Ford sedan. It made way more power than my High Effeciency SN impeller. I had the VR70 impeller cut down and balanced to match an original VR4 impeller I had, but it still weighed more than the regular VR4 impeller.

The heavier VR4 style impeller just exploded! It destroyed the blower case, shrapnel went through the hood, wiped out the fuel and oil lines, the bonnet to blower hose, and a bunch of other stuff. I pulled the carb off on the side of the road and cleaned the impeller particles out. then left the bonnet and blower belts off and drove it a couple miles back to the house. The high dollar stroker Y-block I just built seems unhurt, but it is going to take some work to get another rare VR57 back on it.

I am interested in building another VR4 impellered VR57 blower, but I will have to wait for a billet or magnesium impeller. The car runs good with the regular impeller but really pulled with the VR4 style. I was about to dyno it and see if I was at the 500 hp mark yet.

Anyone with a VR70 rear cover for sale let me know, as I need another one now.

Junior SCH Member
    i am definatly interested in a magnesium impeller set up. with less rotating mass and upgraded pitch of the blades sounds like a winning combination

Senior SCH Member
    Suede57ford,

Ouch, on the impeller explosion. Bummer. Very Creative though.

Hopefully Nash will come through with the impellers. I'm inclined to wait for the billet version, but magnesium would be fine too.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Suede57ford,
    I always wanted to know if the VR70 industrial impeller would fit in the SN case and from the looks of it it is a copy of the VR4, I guess it can not take the high speed.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    If he can come through with production I would definitely be ordering. I would also prefer the billet impeller but would take a cast unit if that's what it takes to get my hands on a kit.

Junior SCH Member
    I talked to Craig at PW about my impeller explosion last week. He metioned at the higher boost levels it may be necessary to add a Blow Off Valve. When I let of the gas to shift gears, and the boost is up it really puts a ton of load on the impeller blades when they are fighting the blocked air. He felt that if I don't go to a BOV I may continue to have problems and keep breaking stuff

I'm not crazy about a Blow Off Valve , as I have went to great lengths to make the engins look totally original like it would have cone off the assembly line in '57. I will have to be creative to make the BOV look old school or try to hide it. The 7 lb blower does not seem to need it, though.

I put the 6-7lbs VR57 blower, with the SN High Efficency impeller back on my '57 Ford and I can really tell a difference. It still runs good, but I really miss the hard charge of the VR4 type impeller which moves a ton more air, which in turn made a bunch more top end power.

I did come up with a VR70 Industrial rear cover so I can begin modifying another VR57 blower for a VR4 impeller again.

When impellers become available, I should be in good shape to run some good times.

Senior SCH Member

Update

I heard from Nash about the VR4 kits, below is the email.

"Mike, I got a quote for the billet impellers with 7075 aluminum. They will cost me $586 each and I have to do a minimum of 50. That is too much money at the moment to be doing that many and then waiting for the scroll covers.

I have pulled the trigger on the cast aluminum impellers. I have a prototype in my hands now and I am getting 30 of those made up. Be on the lookout for the finished product in 3 weeks.

Nash"

Senior SCH Member

Update with the cast impellers

"Mike, Here are the pictures of the VR4 impeller casting. I am only a few days away from getting the raw casting machined. I will keep you posted.

Nash"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    Looking good so far. Keep us updated!:happy:

Things are looking up for VR4 stuff. Thats awesome.

SCH Member
    Wow, this is cool. Wish I had kept my mint SN-93 now.
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)

I was hoping to buy one of these for Christmas!!!
    Guess they call it Self-Gifting :laugh:

Any word , Probably not going to happen this year

Maybe by my birthday in March ;)