Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gear driven Paxton? Not a Novi or VS series, no stampings but a “6”
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear driven Paxton? Not a Novi or VS series, no stampings but a “6”

Senior SCH Member

Gear driven Paxton? Not a Novi or VS series, no stampings but a “6”

Hey,
    I got called over to a friend of mines shop to look at a supercharger setup he thought was a SN series, but it is oil fed from the engine.

The back and middle of the blower are exactly the same as a SN, but scaled up 10-15%, literally larger but exactly to scale. The screw holes, shape, and everything. I compared it to an extra SN89 rear housing and cover and they are the same only bigger. The inlet is 4” and the outlet is 3”, but it’s not a VR4.

The mounting bracket is 1” thick and has a large tension pulley built into it for the Cog setup, which is there. It’s a cast bracket for what appears to be the driver’s side SBC head, with a portion of the power steering bracket cast in too.
    Inside it has 4 gears, the input shaft to a small gear to a medium gear to the output shaft. Each of the main bears has its own oil feed line inside the case. In other words the oil comes in and then goes to a distribution block and four lines come out and go to individual oilers. The transmission is very creative, it’s clear by the castings and the fitment that this was not for production. The setup up it 5:1, one turn of the input shaft spins the output 5 times, so this was an aggressive unit. The cog pulleys are 50 teeth at the crank (SBC bolt pattern I believe, could be early ford) and 34 teeth on the blower pulley basically 1.5:1, so this setup was going to spin that impeller.

The impeller is cast, but definitely not VR4 or Novi. It has straight blades, looks a lot like an early Procharger impeller, but has scallops at the end between the fins. Also, it has a spline engagement to the output shaft, not two pins and a bolt. In fact it had a "missile nose cone" shaped nut that held the impeller in place. Unfortunately the output shaft is cracked.

I looked all over it and it has no markings, patent numbers or anything other than a “6” written on the rear cover and on the transmission.
    I think this may have been a race blower, I suspect Paxton pre Novi design. Originally we thought it was some type of knock off, but it’s clear by the roller and needle bearings along with the bearing oiling system, that somebody put a lot of time and engineering into this.

The blower was disassembled before I got there, and was not done with patience. Most because I think my friend thought it would come apart the same way as a SN unit.

I will take lots of pictures and post them this evening, hopefully someone can give me a heads up on what it is.

This sounds interesting. Maybe it's some kind of "frankenstein" blower, with bits and pieces cobbled together from several other superchargers...?

Can't wait to see the pics.

Senior SCH Member
    It is really neat. The impeller is huge compared to a stock SN unit. I will get pictures this evening.

Senior SCH Member

Pictures! More pictures in my album

Interesting. And you're right... that impeller is big!

Do you think it was originally an industrial blower that was retrofitted to an engine?

Senior SCH Member
    I think it was designed as a race blower from the get go. Most of the pieces are rough cast then machined, so it is not quite a poduction piece. It has generated a lot of interest once I sent the pictures around.

Given that it uses a gear-drive system, do you think it might be an early NOVI prototype? It would certainly explain why there's no stampings or patent numbers on it.

You've said the impeller is nothing like a VR4 or NOVI unit, but how does the drive system compare to one found in a NOVI blower?

Senior SCH Member
    The drive system is way more sophisticated, each needle bearing has an oiler line plumbed to it. Most of the current gear drive units I've seen just squirt oil on the two gears. This unit has a transmission with a 5:1 step up. I've sent pictures to PW and JR to see if either recognizes the work.

It's a shame the output shaft was cracked during the disassembly (not done by me, I was called in after).

I have not split the drive setup, as I am not 100% sure how it comes apart, plus I lack proper press equipment.

If you look at all the pictures in my album of it, it is really a work of an artist. I think my friend just want to sell it; I think he thought it was a Ball Drive unit he could flip.

Last edited by Buck-Strickland; 10-27-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    That is a 1993 Novi GSS prototype - it was in the lobby when I sold the business - This is the blower I told you guys about - too expensive to make in production - should be 8 to 1 or 10 to 1 - I don't recall

Senior SCH Member
    I wonder how it ended up out in the public? I talked to my friend who owns it and he just wants to unload it. I think it's really cool. It is an impressive piece.

Hey Joey,

Do you have any pictures or information on it from back then? Did your Dad or Uncle build it?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Strickland View Post
    I talked to my friend who owns it and he just wants to unload it. I think it's really cool. It is an impressive piece.
    Will you be buying it from your friend? How much do you think he'll want for it?

Seems like a nice piece of Paxton history - it would be a real shame to see it get thrown into a box in the corner of someone's basement or workshop because they didn't really know what they had in their hands.

Senior SCH Member
    I can get from if I want it. I think my friend just wants to get his money out and move on, he seem more upset that it was not a Ball Drive he could flip. He does not really care about the history of superchargers. But, not sure what I would do with it other than stare at it on the shelf in my office.

It would be nice if somebody got it who could repair the damaged output shaft and use it, or had a better use than me.

I agree. It should go to someone who can repair the input shaft and potentially put it to good use.

How much do you think your friend would want for it?

Senior SCH Member
    Not sure, not a lot would be my guess. But "a lot" is different to different people. I think he would be open to offers. He just wants to get his money out of it and move on.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Strickland View Post
    I wonder how it ended up out in the public? I talked to my friend who owns it and he just wants to unload it. I think it's really cool. It is an impressive piece.

Hey Joey,

Do you have any pictures or information on it from back then? Did your Dad or Uncle build it?
    Vince did it - My Uncle