Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

M112 snout reversal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M112 snout reversal?

Junior SCH Member

Eaton M112 2JZ80-GZE

I have began to install an Eaton M112 onto the JZA80GE engine in my Mk4 Supra, and it would make the job easier and neater if the snout was fitted the other way up on the charger.

Has anyone done this snout reversal, or could give me some words of wisdom please?
    Last edited by David2009; 07-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Hi David, and welcome to SCH.

I don't think I've even heard of anyone reversing the snout on an Eaton blower, let alone seen it done. But my experience with Eaton (and in fact any fixed-displacement style blowers) is very limited to say the least.

Is this a pre-engineered kit you've purchased, or are you retrofitting this blower from another engine/application?

Do you have any pictures of the blower and where it's going? Maybe that might help.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-21-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest.

I am converting a Jaguar Eaton M112 to fit onto a JZA80GE engine in a Mk4 Supra.
    Space for this conversion is very limited, and it has occured to me that it would be a better configuration if the charger had the snout at the other side, then it could be fitted a lot neater and deliver the air in the direction it needs to travel.

Hope that makes sense.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David2009; 11-20-2010 at 05:19 PM.

It absolutely does make sense, and now that I see the photo, it's even clearer as to why you'd want to do this.

But as I said in my earlier post, I've never even heard of anyone dong this, let alone seen it done before. However, that's not to say it can't be done.

I'm not too familiar with M112, but based on the photo you've posted I'm thinking the only option is to find another front snout which is on the opposite side and swap it with the existing one. This will more than likely require contacting Eaton themselves to see if they even make such a thing, and if so which vehicles (if any) where equipped with them. Contacting some better-known tuners that specialize in either Eaton superchargers or in tuning Toyotas (HKS, and GReddy come to mind), might also be another consideration as well.

But again, I'm not an expert on this blower. Let's hope another forum member who is more experienced with these blowers chimes in here soon.

What are you using for an intake manifold going from the outlet side of the blower to the cylinder head itself?

EDIT: The only other option is to potentially just flip the snout over on the housing itself. However, I don't know if the snout and it's mounting is symmetrical from left to right. If it is then - at least in theory - it should be possible to just flip the drive snout over and reinstall it on the blower housing. I'd need to see more photos of the blower, especially the snout and where it mounts to the blower housing, before I could be sure this is even an option.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-20-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    I have sent an email to Eaton technical, awaiting a reply.
    From my limited knowledge of this unit, it would require reversing the rotors to regain the correct direction of flow, as turning the snout would turn it from a superblower into a supersucker.

I am converting a charge cooler to fit over the engine.

Here are pics of work in progress.

First mock-up

Rocker covers and manifold cut ready

Cooler in place in cut out rocker covers.

Cooler ready for the side to be cut off, shunted across to manifold and welded together.
    The induction side of the cooler will be completed after I have solved the conundrum asked earlier.

Last edited by David2009; 03-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.

WOW! That is an incredible amount of work! And all very well done, I might add.

Now that I think about it, you're right. You'll have to reverse the internal rotors of the blower itself when you reverse the drive snout. Keep us posed on what Eaton Technical tells you.

And definitely keep us posted on the build of your Supra. I thought reversing the drive snout was an interesting project by itself, but after seen all these photos, I'm anxious to see what the rest of this build has in store!

Junior SCH Member
    ok, I'd like to help. I have some time in with these things on Mustangs. The cobra M112 has the drive snout on the opposite side from your jag unit. The bolt pattern appears to be the same from the picture.

The rotation of the blower does not change. However the two gears on the inside of the snout (attached to the rotors) can be pressed of and switched. If you have not taken the snout off the unit please do and you will see what I am talking about.

I machined an 03 cobra m112 snout down and used it on a 99 cobra with one belt and not two for a project here. The snout can be macined to any length (shorter) if needed and a shaft machined in its place. It is not as difficult as it appears. Plus by the look of your other work I'd say your up for the task.

I will post some pics as soon as I find some and get them loaded on my photo bucket account. I have a cobra m112 here (knoxville Tennessee) but the cobra air inlet and exit would not be helpful, however I think the front snout would make things easier. I have an extra snout as well if your interested.

I guess my next question would be why not run a front mount intercooler and sit the blower on top of the intake????

email me directly if you like

Rumble340@aol.com

Dustin

Junior SCH Member
    or you could run this kenne bell 1.5L blower and flip it over on the driver side of your car?

Junior SCH Member
    Thank you for the input, it is interesting to learn the shaft can be shortened, but in this instance, it's barely long enough.

The email I sent to Eaton Technical, has been returned, address unknown.

In the meanwhile I have been experimenting with different distributor caps, and component pruning.
    This has allowed me to squeeze it in, in front of the distributor, which will simplify the installation.
    I have found that to change to a pre 92 4Runner distributor cap will give another 1/4-1/2" clearance so have ordered one.
    Having the bottom of the charger planed by 1/2" to acheive parallel with exit port face, making a little more space and mounting a simpler excercise.

This installation is going to be very tight, but will go in.
    The throttle body must now fit under the charger.

I have been working on the distribution knuckle too.

Last edited by David2009; 11-28-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    seems like a great project. I like doing something different myself as well. Good luck and if you need any parts/help let me know. I shipped a whole kenne bell setup to finland. It was expensive but easy to do.

do they have the ford falcon in the U.K. or is it only in Austraila? Always wanted one myself wish they would produce the falcon for the States.

Dustin

Junior SCH Member
    Thank you for the words of ecouragement, what I could do with most, is a friendly and helpful aluminium welder who lives just around the corner ;)

Junior SCH Member
    I have been busy since my last post.
    The conversion is now about ready to bolt onto the car but need to upgrade the transmission first.
    The belt is mocked up with tape whilst waiting for the belt to arrive.

Last edited by David2009; 03-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo57988 View Post
    seems like a great project. I like doing something different myself as well. Good luck and if you need any parts/help let me know. I shipped a whole kenne bell setup to finland. It was expensive but easy to do.

do they have the ford falcon in the U.K. or is it only in Austraila? Always wanted one myself wish they would produce the falcon for the States.

Dustin
    I am interested to see some pics of that install.

Don't have Ford Falcons here, must be Austraila?

Junior SCH Member
    Here's a clip of the first test spin.

So far so good. :)

http://youtu.be/B-9wiyGaPo8

great progress, nice looking work