Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
supercharger help

Thread: supercharger help

Junior SCH Member

supercharger help

well i bought a sn supercharger a while ago. and really havent had the time to put it on. i have a 92 f150 with the 5.0 and i cannot find a pully any where i was thinking of building a bracket for it but really i would like experienced opinions . also i have been reading that they like to over heat and wear out faster so i was wondering if there was a way to make a cooler setup instead of buyin the parts from paradise wheels. also if you could give me a list of parts i would need to completly install it that would be great.

Welcome to SCH.

There's a lot of very good information on the site regarding Paxton SN series superchargers, and I'm sure many of your questions have been answered. Perform a search and/or browse around this section of the forum.

However, before anyone can tell you what parts you're going to need in order to install this blower on your F150, you'll need to tell us exactly what you already have. Does the head unit already have a pulley installed? If so, what diameter? Etc...

Also, does the blower spin without a notching or catching? If not, then it might need a rebuild, which you may need to consider doing before you look at any mounting hardware.

SN blowers do tend to run hot, but unless they are driven hard they don't generally "overheat". However, with that said, a fluid cooler is definitely a good idea. I have read about people here that have made their own cooler setups, however you'll have to perform a search or browse around to find the information.

Junior SCH Member
    i only have the blower itself there is no pulley and it does catch when i spin it

If all you have is just the head-unit, then you are going to need quite a few items in order to bolt it up to your engine. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a Ford expert so hopefully someone with more experience with Ford engines will chime in soon.

If the blower catches when you spin it, then the internal drive balls and/or races may be galled. These will need to be replaced.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    What Michael says,
    It propably needs a impellor shaft to, do a search here about the rebuild.
    If that engine is anything like a Mustang engine then check out Ebay reguarley for the missing parts.
    From the top of my head,
    Impellor shaft $150
    5 balls $50
    2 races $50
    Rear 3 lip seal $50

Full rebuild kit $450
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    holy i just talked to the guy who i bought it from and he said he got it rebuilt when he bought it and he never once used it because he couldnt find the parts

If it's been rebuilt, then it's strange that it would 'catch' while turning. Catching is normally an indicator the impeller shaft, drive balls, and/or races have been pitted or galled. Replacing these items isn't difficult or very expensive to do, but it is going to require that you crack open the head unit. If the previous owner says that he had the unit rebuilt, I'd ask him where and when it was done. If it was done by a reputable shop, then you might want to contact them to see if they have any records of the service. Any good shop will have (even rudimentary) records of the work done.

As for the rest of the parts/hardware that you might need, I do have an SN install manual for '86-'91 Ford Mustang. It might contain enough information within it to help you piece together the parts you're going to need in order to install the blower on your F150 (assuming that the blower bolts up to the engine in your truck the same way as it did on the old 302 Mustangs). Send me a PM and I'll email it over to you.

Junior SCH Member
    also am i going to have to change the injectors?

Junior SCH Member
    alsooo my truck uses speed density i was thinking of chaning it over to maf but what do you guys think

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsullivan View Post
    also am i going to have to change the injectors?
    Yes, you will more than likely have to change the injectors prior to running the supercharger. I believe most guys running SN series chargers on 5.0 Mustangs go to 42lbs./hr. injectors, but I'm not 100% sure.

Junior SCH Member
    well im switching to a mustang computer and maf and well a 5 speed since i dont really want to buy a stand alone computer for the e4od and ill be ordering in injectors soon

SCH Member

e4od/ho computer

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsullivan View Post
    well im switching to a mustang computer and maf and well a 5 speed since i dont really want to buy a stand alone computer for the e4od and ill be ordering in injectors soon
    You don't have to switch to a mustang computer. Look for 94 and 95 f150's and Broncos. These computers are actually better. They have an HO firing order, mass air, and e40d/4r70w transmissions. The "catch code" on the computer will be HUGO or HUG1 depending on which trans it controls. HUGO 4r70w HUG1 e40d. I'm getting ready to do the swap on my 93 Bronco 302 e40d speed density. CBAZO is the strategy. Hope this helps:happy: