Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Time to Replace Bearings?

Thread: Time to Replace Bearings?

Senior SCH Member

Time to Replace Bearings?

Well I rebuilt my SN-89 last winter. I replaced the balls, races, & the impeller shaft. I left the bearings alone however. After about 1000-1500 miles it began to make a noise which sounds like the bearings are going out on it.

This noise began when the unit heated up at first then began to make the sound all the time.

Can anybody confirm it is the bearings based on past experiences? I have not yet opened the unit up. I think at this point I should replace all of the bearings. I plan to open it up this fall but want ideas before I begin.

Thoughts and pointers are welcome - thank you.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Turn the pulley by hand if it is smooth then the impeller shaft is intact.
    To be sure of the bearings then you really need to open it up.
    The roller bearing can be found in a good bearing shop
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks pavement pounde. You are right on. The unit turned freely. I finally opened up the unit last night. The balls and impeller shaft looked fine. The small bearing is going out.

I will replace both bearings since I am in there. I guess the most effective way to get them off is by heating. Should I be paying any attention to the oil pump to service/inspect it or should I just clean it up?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Clean and inspect the oilpump pickup screen and remove the large screw behind it and check the spring and pushrod .
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member
    Thank you!

Senior SCH Member
    I went ahead and cleaned out the oilpump screen and etc. I couldn't help it but I removed the little set screw and cleaned in there. Did I loose something or is there supposed to be nothing behind the set screw? Below is an image from an old VS 57 showing a ball which I am unsure belongs on the SN89.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior SCH Member
    I don't see a screw in plug behind the ball in the diagram you posted. The ball may be the plug, like a piece of shot that gets tapped into the hole. I don't remember a ball being there on my SN89 when I disassembled it. If I get a chance I will go look in the oil pump parts bag.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks Buck. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to bias anyone before I heard anything. Let me know what you find when you find it.

Senior SCH Member
    There is no check ball in my SN89 oil pump. The hole is threaded and has a set screw in it. I removed the set screw and it's just a passage.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks again Buck. I will be much more comfortable now when I put the pump back on!