Thread: Will this work ok? Might be dangerous...

Junior SCH Member

Will this work ok? Might be dangerous...

I got my paxton sn89 for 125 bcos for the whole kit... It didn't come with a filter pipe... Can I do what the turbo guys do and use wire screen over it and clamp it on? It might even raise boost 1-2 lbs.... Also this is a mostly track car...

Why don't you just buy a filter? Even if you have to order it (ie. it's not on the shelf at your local autoparts store), they aren't expensive. K&N makes one that will fit your SN89 perfectly.

Here's a thread from the General chat section that talks about the filter size for SN series blowers. In the second posting of the thread, I listed the dimensions of the K&N cone-style filter than came with my SN89. Unfortunately, the filter I have is no longer being made by K&N, but there's a link in that posting to the K&N website that takes you to a currently produced filter that will fit your SN. The filter fits right over the inlet hole, held on with a simple hose clamp - no need to run an inlet pipe if you don't have the room to.

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/showthread.php?t=10084

A wire screen will work, but it won't give you any additional boost and will obviously do nothing with respect to filtering small pollutants/contaminants out of the incoming air.

Junior SCH Member
    Ya my problem I was having was the small filter I bought ran right into the valve cover... So I put wire mesh door screen on it... And your right I was thinking turbo about the additional boost... They don't run belts etc to achieve the boost... So yes I will look into a small filter

I have read a couple of things were the screens actually hurt performance. Granted these were cars running alot more boost than what an SN is able to make.

Junior SCH Member
    Hmm I'll look into that... I am on the list for the vr4 upgrade whenever we get 15 people