Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Replacing Novi 2000 Seals Info

Thread: Replacing Novi 2000 Seals Info

Lightbulb Replacing Novi 2000 Seals Info

This was all pulled from either one forum or multiple regarding the seals etc for the Novi 2000. Since I'm finally selling my Novi, I figured I would share some of the info I have collected I was able to find. I don't know how valid this info is, I never had to repair my unit, so use this info with caution. Remember there are iterations of the Novi 2000 so this may only apply to older units.

The oil seal is a CR (chicago rawhide) 9838. It is a rubber seal with a metal case.
    Cost, are you sitting down, 3 dollars. The main seal, it is just a large "O" ring.
    Cost, 75 cents. All the bearing were checked at the shop and they said they were in great shape and did not need replacing. They told me that the bearings were very good quality and most likely heavier duty than I needed, but were obsolete now. The charger is about 6 years old. They said they could get the same type though. Cost, 8 bucks each for the small ones, the large one are about 18 each. If I wanted to go one they had on hand it would have been 5 dollars each. I asked what the difference would be and they said the ones on hand should not be spun to 60,000 RPM but could take the 50,000 I am almost at now. Actually with my 7 inch and 3.5 I think I am only at 45,000. So there you have it folks. I have bearing part numbers as well but they are wrote down somewhere and since there
    doesnt seem to be alot of interest I will save the time from getting them and typing them.

Front Oil Seal

Federal Mogul 472311 and the size is 1.000 x 1.437 x 0.250
    Chicago Rawhide 9838

Abec 7/Abec 9 Bearings

The front oil seal is the same size. The guy at the parts counter measured the input shaft and the old seal. The seal I purchased is a CR (Chicago Rawhide) 9838. It is rubber and the fit is great. I will be uploading some pics of it tonight, and the install of which I did in my kitchen.

Now the bearings are a bit more complicated. I got the part numbers from them and the parts store crossed them with available ones. The ones they gave me to purchase looked very good and very heavy duty. There is only one I could not find a part number to, and that is the first large bearing under the front cover. The race is different then I have seen. The parts guy was like I see those all the time and the part number is under the thrust surface, which is pressed in the front cover. But it should be the same size as the bottom one and only should differ on the main race. If you check out my gallary pics you will see the difference. Oh, and reassembly was a piece of cake. Let me get you those numbers.

The large bearing under the main drive gear
    Barden brand ME1206, it is a thrust bearing NHBB made in the USA The top bearing differes only in the race that is set inside the cover. Same size and number of ballbearings.

The smaller impeller bearings (2 needed)
    Barden 203HX96 Thrust bearings

The guys at the shop said to make sure I get thrust bearings, and that the "thrust" side faces the load.

I hope this helps. If you need any pics please let me know. I am sorry about not reading these PM's sooner as I didnt count the teeth. But if it is really important I will take the cover off again and do it.

Eric

Ok, have been looking on the net a bit at the Barden bearing website. The weird bearing I have been talking about is a Seperable bearing. It is designed to it can be taken apart leaving the ball bearings and a "cage" in one place the the outer race in another. So on the large bearing number, get one Nonseperable and Seperable. I am Emailing Barden now and asking for current part numbers. They do make a Ceramic bearing. Supposted to be the best, but I bet it is high dollar.

Hi , Just take dimensions of impeller shaft and the seal diameter .Then take them to a bearing supplier to find a viton seal that fits. Thats what I did when my novi 1000 was leaking oil. My shaft dia was 0.6230" and my seal dia 1.1875 I used a chicago rawhide seal p/n 6248 Its been one year and no leak. hope this helps

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    good info, thanks
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw