Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
WTF did this to my GSS?!?!

Thread: WTF did this to my GSS?!?!

SCH Member

WTF did this to my GSS?!?!

Inside view, the "pimples" are the 2 marks on the left, the one on the right has no marks on the outside

Outside it looks horrible, inside it looks as though it was done with a drift punch, doesn't seem to leak though.

And yes, these pictures are taken on my kitchen counter (solves the question of why I'm single)

Note the vintage crafstman ratchet

I'll probably drill, fill and polish those "dents", but as for the rest...

The ball carrier looks good, I'll mic the balls themselves tomorrow (micrometer's in my buddy's garage). The impeller shaft looks horrible- if everything else looks good, should I just change the shaft and seals and roll with it?

And shouldn't my GSS have the "purple" impeller? This one looks like the "stock" one that's in an 89 or 93.
    Last edited by Cali; 02-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    If the impeller shaft looks horrible the balls should be trashed. Shaft is hardened and the balls are soft. You probably won't be able to measure any out of round. The balls have to be PERFECT to operate properly.

SCH Member
    The shaft is only thrashed in 1 spot, but since it's apart I might as well replace the balls (cheap insurance).

What's the chance that the carrier is in-spec? It seems to look alright, no divots or pitting, just slight wear indications where it contacts the balls.

Senior SCH Member
    The carrier should be good. Small divots is fine. Check out this older thread for a pic with the carrier and comments abut it.

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/showthread.php?t=9716

SCH Member
    Thanks for the link- my "divots" are smaller than those- on mine they're really just "polished" points, no discernable indentations.

I'm gonna guess that the dents in my case are not from the factory, and this thing had a cataclysmic explosion at some point in it's life, and has been rebuilt. I have zero noticable play on any of the bearings, and even though I haven't pressurized the case, there's no evidence of the seals leaking.

Senior SCH Member
    Glad to hear the rebuild is going along well. Those divots are too unidirectional and must be man made. They were most likely done by somebody doing something stupid when putting it together.

I'd have to agree with JPJP. Those divots are just too uniform - perfectly round, identical in size, and the same depth. A cataclysmic explosion (or any kind of explosion) wouldn't leave uniform marks like that.

Besides, just looking at all the parts you have laid out on your counter, none of the moving parts are small enough (or of similar shape) to have caused those kinds of marks.

It may well have been something a previous owner or shop did.

SCH Member
    I was actually looking over the parts earlier, trying to find anything in the pile that fits the dents, and you're right- nothing matches. Only thing I can come up with is that some idiot left a tool inside and started to torque the case together. Atleast (the majority of) the internals are in good shape.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    The holes seem to be the size of using to long casing bolts ?
    Never seen anything like it.
    When replacing impellershaft always replace the balls.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Member
    I was thinking the previous owner might have wedged a tool inbetween the rear bearing and the front housing, then torqued it together in an attempt to remove said bearing.

Junior SCH Member
    Just a thought, mine has a very simular mark on the body, what I noticed the center spindle, has a pin that lines up with the hole in the body, to give the oil pickup a direction, if you where to not line this up, as I did not one time, it made a similar mark on mine.... Just a thought....

SCH Member
    bmr is correct.
    I'm currenly re-assembling this GSS, and in doing so I understand the diferences between SN's and the GSS a little better, and I also discovered what made the dimples in my case.

On the SN's, the bearings and pump are housed in a cast portion of the front cover/resevoir. On the GSS, the front cover is used more for oil storage, while the bearings and pump are contained in a seperate carrier. This carrier has an alignment pin that prevents it from rotating and aligns the oil pickup to the bottom. Obviously someone who rebuilt it before aligned it incorrectly and then torqued down the case. I originally thought it was odd that both the divots seemed to lig up with this hole, wich I couldn't figure out the purpose of at the time- not that I really tried to figure it out I guess.