Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
How do you measure a pulley?

Thread: How do you measure a pulley?

How do you measure a pulley?

I'm going to step up one pulley size on my SN2000. I have two questions. First, how do I know what size pulley I have now? I haven't looked yet, but is it marked somehow? Do you measure in one of the grooves or the outside diameter? Second question, does it make a difference if I change the crank pulley vs the blower pulley? If so, why?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemelli View Post
    I'm going to step up one pulley size on my SN2000. I have two questions. First, how do I know what size pulley I have now? I haven't looked yet, but is it marked somehow? Do you measure in one of the grooves or the outside diameter? Second question, does it make a difference if I change the crank pulley vs the blower pulley? If so, why?
    I think you measure across the middle peaks of the grooves on the pullies but someone else should know for certain.
    Whenever you are trying increase the speed of the supercharger, it is best to do this with a larger crank pulley. There will be more surface area for the belt to grab vs a smaller charger pulley having less surface area and likely more belt slip.
    88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, sn paxton 6#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x.

SCH Member
    [QUOTE=88t.birdsc;65109"................ Whenever you are trying increase the speed of the supercharger, it is best to do this with a larger crank pulley. There will be more surface area for the belt to grab vs a smaller charger pulley having less surface area and likely more belt slip.[/QUOTE]

in theory this is correct.

in actual practice a reduction in diameter of a half-inch or an inch on the size of the blower pulley has never resulted in belt slippage in my own experiences.
    Also, optional sized pulleys for the blower seem more readily available than different sized crank pulleys.

Z.

'65 K code

Both great points. Thank you! Do either of you know where a pulley may be available? Or possibly what substitute I could use, even if it may need to be machined a bit? I'm having trouble finding Paxton specific pulleys.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemelli View Post
    Both great points. Thank you! Do either of you know where a pulley may be available? Or possibly what substitute I could use, even if it may need to be machined a bit? I'm having trouble finding Paxton specific pulleys.
    contact Craig Conley @ Paradise Wheels for any parts or information on the SN series. His email is: conleyr107@sbcglobal.net I have no doubt he can provide you with any pulley desired without having to machine it for a fit.

measure the full diameter of your pulley, all the way to the edge, & tell him that's the way you measured it & he will be able to guide you to what you are wanting.

Z.

'65 K code

Once again, thank you very much.