Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: boost with sn93 and water/meth

Junior SCH Member
    Are you sure it isn't dropping from belt/ball carrier slippage?

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
    Hey Ghost 88, do you have any boost numbers you can share of boost versus engine RPM's? I haven't seen anybody post any numbers like that. Approximate numbers are fine by me.

Boost versus Engine RPM...

I'm running 9lbs at 5500 rpm 3rd gear thats with the meth dual nozzle. I haven't had it tune yet. Hopefully I'll pick up another pound with the tune. I'm going next saturday I'll let you all know what happens.

Senior SCH Member
    Absolutely no belt dust and no slipping/grabbing characteristics I have had with belt slippage in the past.
    Last edited by JPJP; 05-05-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    Afterthougts:

No evidence of belt slippage.........but the balls slipping maybe. At 5500 RPM's the impeller shaft is just over 39K RPM's. Never thought of that possibly being the case.

Anyway, the '86 yellow lines at 4800 RPM's. I was intentionally over revving to see the maximum boost I could get.

Junior SCH Member
    Resurrecting older thread.

I finally but a boost gauge on mine. I am running about 6-7 pounds boost at about 5000 RPM's on my '86 Mustang. This is about where I shift anyway. Bringing the engine to around 5500 RPM's superheats the charge and boost drops to 5 pounds.

I am running a SN-89 with Ø3.75 blower pulley (Ø6 at crank) and a H.O. impeller.

I am right at the edge as far as fuel goes. Very dependent on the ambient temperature. I plan to install a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump (GSS340) and 24 LB injectors (with matching FMU disk) at this point.

If you want to know your boost nail it in third gear to your highest rpm, thats your boost.

Senior SCH Member
    I heard either 2nd or 3rd gear for checking boost, but not first since the load isn't high enough. Numbers have been the same thus far.

Junior SCH Member
    I heard either 2nd or 3rd gear for checking boost, but not first since the load isn't high enough. Numbers have been the same thus far.

Do you have a by-pass valve? What is your timing set at? Do you have a power pipe. A power pipe will give you 1-2 lb of boost. If you want more boost go with a 7" crank pulley 8 rib setup. The 3.75 s/c pulley is the smallest you can go. If not all that use meth.

Senior SCH Member
    Timing is set at 13-14° BTDC base. Still running S.D. with the stock computer.

No by pass valve.

No power pipe.

Ghost88, are you running S.D. or Mass Air?

Junior SCH Member
    I converted to mass air. DO you have a boost retard, if not your timing should be set at 10 degrees. Get a by-pass valve for safety that air charge needs some where to go. You maybe want to go with 30s or 42s. When I had 30s my 255 pump wasn't pushing enough fuel so I added a t-rex pump. If you plan on doing any thing else to the motor go with 42s and a t-rex. If no plans 24s and a 255 pump will be fine.
    Last edited by Ghost88; 05-06-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Timing is set at 13-14° BTDC base. Still running S.D. with the stock computer.

No by pass valve.

No power pipe.

Ghost88, are you running S.D. or Mass Air?

JPJP I belive you can use a BOV since your S/D.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for your help Ghost88. I am not getting spark knock so I will keep the ignition advanced it is worth 20HP according to Kenne Bell to have the initial advance at 14°.

See attached file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Member
    Thanks for your help Ghost88. I am not getting spark knock so I will keep the ignition advanced it is worth 20HP according to Kenne Bell to have the initial advance at 14°.

See attached file.
    Nice! Someone boosting with speed density
    If the harness in my car wasn't pinned out for cbaza, it would have been fun to get it dialed in with speed density.
    Have you ever considered a Moates quarterhorse and binary editor?

Mike
    88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, sn paxton 6#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x.

Senior SCH Member
    Moates quarterhorse and binary editor......never heard of them. I will do some research.

I have heard good things about the Megasquirt systems however.

SCH Member
    Moates quarterhorse and binary editor......never heard of them. I will do some research.

I have heard good things about the Megasquirt systems however.
    A good place to start is at eectuning.org
    From what I understand Megasquirt is more like a stand alone you build or buy semi built and go from there.
    Quarterhorse you just plug it in to your pcm and a laptop, buy binary editor, and your ready to start tuning on the fly with the engine running :evil: with real time data logging and good support on the eectuning.org forums.
    Imho it should be the 1st mod anyone who owns a performance Mustang should buy. Heck after you finish tuning with the quarterhorse you could even burn your file to a j3 chip and sell the quarterhorse. moates.net is closed this week but I've heard Craig Moates is a standup guy who's happens to be a genius also.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, sn paxton 6#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x.

Senior SCH Member
    I checked it out Mike. It appears the '86 does not have the correct computer. '87 is the first year that will work.