Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a vr4!!! I was on list and never heard anything!!!

Junior SCH Member

Need a vr4!!! I was on list and never heard anything!!!

Hey... I have a 79 mustang it is suppose to be a race car... But it seems as if I hit 12s that's good with a sn89....so I want to upgrade asap to a vr4...so I can hit the 11s....

Anyone want to sell one or trade for sn89 plus some cash or something.... Thanks

Which VR-4 list were you on? Solanski or Paradise Wheels?

Senior SCH Member
    I am interested in a vr4 too. Does anyone have an upgrade its for an sn2000 which is on my 93 5.0

Junior SCH Member
    I believe I was on both... I tried to get on both... I know I called Craig at paridise personally... And I asked to be put on the list for solanski...

Paridise still doesn't have 15 yet I don't think... I think it's at like 9... Idk... But i really need a vr4 upgrade or complete.. I want my car fast on the track lol not a joke... (it's supercharged and can barely goes 12s)

vr4 kits

I talked to craig and theres no magic "number"(15) that he's waiting to get to before he starts his big vr4 production maybe its time to start looking at some other options btw..im on the "list" too..

Junior SCH Member
    This sucks haha... Let's get a member to make em haha... I need that vr4 to even be fast enough to run with stock 2011 mustangs haha...

Quote Originally Posted by 415ss69 View Post
    I talked to craig and theres no magic "number"(15) that he's waiting to get to before he starts his big vr4 production maybe its time to start looking at some other options btw..im on the "list" too..
    So does that mean Craig won't be making VR-4s any time soon, despite putting together a 'list'?

The only reason I haven't called Craig to get myself on this list yet is because I'm not in a position to spend that kind of money right now. But if Craig isn't going to make the VR-4s any time soon, then I'm questioning whether I should call him when my situation does change...

Junior SCH Member
    Ya so there has to be someone on here that has material and equipment to make em...

Finding someone on here that has the parts to replicate a VR-4 is easy.

Finding someone on here that has the equipment, facilities, resources, and knowhow to recreate those parts is a different story.

Junior SCH Member
    Well I would like to replicate one haha. Does anyone have the parts to do that?

N ya it would take awhile by they would make some profit... Time is the issue I think haha

Junior SCH Member
    Also what's the difference? A back housing and a 16 blade impeller? Or is there more?

There are three parts that differentiate a VR-4 from a regular SN:

1. VR-4 impeller
    2. VR-4 scroll cover
    3. Stiffer belleville washer

The belleville washer is readily available from Paradise Wheels. The VR-4 Impeller and scroll cover, on the other hand, are what's difficult to get.

Both the impeller and scroll cover are cast parts, and unless you're setting up for a long production run, casting parts for a short-run is difficult, expensive, and a pain. CNC parts are an option for short production-runs, but unless someone has the digital/CAD data, it would be almost impossible to make these parts otherwise and they would be A LOT more expensive too.

However, I will let you (and everyone else here) in on a little project I'm working on.

A forum member has just recently sent me their VR-4 scroll cover and impeller, which I am going to make digital CAD models of. My intentions are NOT to reproduce the VR-4, but instead to develop an impeller similar to the VR-4 impeller that will fit under a stock SN scroll cover. The ultimate goal is to create an impeller that will give more boost and CFM than the high-output SN impeller, but less than a full-bore VR-4... sort of a middle-of-the-road upgrade for those looking for more punch from their SNs but don't want to (or can't) commit to a full VR-4.

Of course it goes without saying, once I have the CAD data for the VR-4's scroll housing and impeller, making reproductions (even using CNC) won't be difficult.

However, I can't stress enough that this project is still in it's very early stages... I can't speculate yet as to when I'll have all the CAD work done nor how much new parts will cost. And I don't want to start gauging interest either until I have proper CAD data that can be used and I source out where these parts can actually be made.

Junior SCH Member
    Wow... That would be awesome... I still we look for a vr4 until you get that project done...

What's your intentions? Trying to get about 10-12 pounds out of it?

I tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to power output estimates.

The way I look at it, if the high-output SN impeller typically produces 6.5psi +/- 0.5psi, I think that a VR-4 style impeller that will fit an SN scroll and can put out 10psi would be just what SN users are looking for; 12psi would be AWESOME, but I think that might be a bit lofty. Looking at the SN scroll cover vs. the VR-4 scroll cover, the SN's cover is a MAJOR restriction! But because I'd like to keep the cost of this upgrade down to something "acceptable" (ie. just the cost of a new impeller), I don't want to change the stock SN impeller cover.

But ultimately, I won't know any actual numbers until I get one of these impellers made and conduct some real-world testing.

Junior SCH Member
    10 psi would be great!!! I would be all over that because I'm guessing cost would be pretty good for just a impeller!!! Let's get on it!! Haha thanks for this little hint