Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Novi GSS Finally Installed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novi GSS Finally Installed

Junior SCH Member

Novi GSS Finally Installed

Hey Guys...Finally :machine: Ready to GO!!

Small question though...I went about 4 miles returned home and the SC was hotter than I ever imagined it would get...

Is this normal?? I had to rotate the outlet port and I retorqued the back 6 bolts to 30 in/lbs...To tight???

Checked the fluid it was OK...

Road trip, was around the long block, lite throttle only, 1/4 at most...with one burst to 1/2 for two seconds...never full, never revved up...

Long post, but I wanted to let everyone know the background...

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Member
    SWEET! are you running an oil cooler on the head unit?

Junior SCH Member
    No just straight, I was thinking of an oil cooler now...

Junior SCH Member
    Are they really worth it??? A lot of added effort...

Also what is the expected boost on this?? Anybody know???
    I read the post listing all the SN's but I did not know which applies to the GSS...

Thanks Again!!

Senior SCH Member
    Nice setup. The unit does get hot, very hot to the touch. The blower is a big block of aluminum that is absorbing all that underhood heat, as well as it's own.

Looks really good, very clean setup.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmr1065 View Post
    Are they really worth it??? A lot of added effort...

Also what is the expected boost on this?? Anybody know???
    I read the post listing all the SN's but I did not know which applies to the GSS...

Thanks Again!!
    controlling heat lets ANYTHING live longer. do it and have peace of mind.

Junior SCH Member
    That was how I felt too...
    Just wanted opinion from people who have them already installed..

Thanks for the advice....

Junior SCH Member
    The oil cooler makes a huge difference in the operating temperature of the unit. My first fluid fill for my SN93 unit was the original non-synthetic Paxta-Trac Fluid. Without an oil cooler, I could start the car and at idle, rest a hand on the blower and within minutes it was noticeably warm. Driving the car for any distance, and the unit was too hot to touch. The fluid turned from its original light amber brown color to pure black within 1000 miles. A fluid drain and refill with Type F transmission fluid saw the fluid go from a bright red to a burnt brown, again within 500 to 1000 miles.
    I added an original Paxton Oil Cooler Kit (using a small stack plate design cooler) and a fresh Type F fluid fill. The temperature difference was remarkable. I could drive the car any distance, open the hood and rest my hand on the blower. It was now just warm. The fluid color also was able to show the difference in the operating temperature. A 3000 mile fluid change and the Type F was still bright red to maybe a light pink.
    I had about 11,000 miles on the head unit before I stopped driving the car. I recently took the unit apart for inspection. There is no noticeable wear on the bearings, races, drive balls, or shafts. The brass carrier has some wear dimples. There was one spot of notchiness when turning the pulley which I have attributed to the unit sitting for nearly 10 years without being rotated.
    I would attribute the lack of wear of the unit to controlling it’s internal fluid temperatures.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the experienced response. this is what I was looking for...

I am going to get one ASAP....

Thanks Again!!

Junior SCH Member
    I know this is a old thread but I also have a GSS and would like to know how you go about hooking up a cooler ? Where do you take the lines from and return to /

Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    the easiest way is to get the cooler kit which extracts and replaces the fluid through the dipstick hole with a special double walled dipstick, i built mine with hardware store parts and when i get time may build a few more to sell if enough interest is shown, this is the closest shot i have of my dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUMPOWER View Post
    I know this is a old thread but I also have a GSS and would like to know how you go about hooking up a cooler ? Where do you take the lines from and return to /

Thanks

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Another extra way of cooling is to move the airfilter to a cooler area and also use the biggest airfilter possible.
    On my VR4 with oilcooler I even made some air ducting pointing to the bottom of the sc to help it cool during driving.
    Them VR4's are getting even hotter.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member

Hi MAGNUMPOWER

Keep in mind what is not shown in Winfred's post. the inner pickup has to extend 3 to 4 inches into the SC for the pick-up, otherwise it does nothing...

I custom made one I will post a picture when I get time, it is an aluminum rod turned down and drilled out, then a tube with a drilled out plug welded to the tube for the pickup, this screws into the full size rod after the turn down, then goes directly into the filler hole...

Think of it as a counterflow pickup, the inner tube pulls the liquid, the outer shorter section dumps it back in...

On Winfred's the top is the pickup and the side is the return, same as mine but I had mine machined with an o-ring groove and snap point, snaps in just like the dipstick...

Brian

Junior SCH Member
    i turned a o-ring groove into mine and it snaps in, i marked it at the same level as the original dipstick so it functions as the dipstick, i presume the real unit works as such

Senior SCH Member
    Will the paxta trac blue fluid increase boost in a sn2000, also will the tan paxta trac add any boost