Thread: Little help from SN2000/GSS owners

SCH Member

Little help from SN2000/GSS owners

I've only found the expolded diagram of the SN 89/92/93. I'm setting the tension on my GSS- question is- how do I get to the bellevue washer/shims?

Senior SCH Member
    The shims are under the bellevue washer. Remove the races, then the Washer, and the shims are right there. See the last photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Member
    My races were being stubborn, I was hoping someone had a pic of it dissasembled just to verify that they slid out- thanks!

Senior SCH Member
    I found that putting the races in the freezer for a while and heating the case with a space heater helps re-assembly. The more you handle the races they expand from body heat. In fact I kept mine on ice while I was setting the torque.

You really have to lift them straight out, any angle and it binds against the case. Keep an eye out for the pins.

SCH Member
    Zero shims. Standard impeller (in a GSS). Casing dented from missalignment on the bearing-carrier alignment pin. Not really that bad I guess for a performance item that's been changing hands for 15 years probably.

I read somewhere on here that people have made there own shims from soda cans. Mine took 3 to acheive 40 in-pds resistance. It doesn't sound like much resistance, but the feeling of turning by hand is more than expected (?).

And on a side note, the races were fightning me on disassembling and reassembling with the shim tests, so I tried the freezer trick (done that before on differential ring installs)- worked great.

SCH Member
    sorry but im posting this picture i got a used sn 2000 and i took it apart and i see that it does not look normal the washers by the bolt holes or the home made impeller shim

Senior SCH Member
    Wow. Looks like a shade tree job was done to it in the past. The washers under the race retainer are a bad idea, and the huge "custom" impeller shim was needed becuase of those other washers. Odd.