Thread: what piston rings?

Senior SCH Member

what piston rings?

I am in the process of pulling my motor because of too much blow by ,what are good rings to use for a forced induction set up? this is a sbf ,306 with .030 trw pistons. I originally had standard rings in because i had no intentions to run boost,but you know how things snowball..
    I have a 100k motor that is stock i am going to drop in AND i am going to put the novi 1000 back on this motor with stock upper pulley and 8 inch renegade crank pulley..Wish me luck.:teeth:

Depending on the kind of horsepower you're looking to make, I'd consider a "zero-gap" set from either Total Seal or Speed-Pro.

The reason I mention horsepower is depending on how much you're looking to produce (ie. over 700bhp-800bhp), gapless rings may not be the best option. When cylinder pressures get extremely high, some "controlled" blow-by is desirable. But if you're building a strong street engine (ie. 400bhp-600bhp), then gapless rings are fine.

As long as you stick with a well known brand of rings like the ones I've mentioned above, you should be fine. I've heard/read some "not so flattering" reviews about Childs & Alberts rings over the last few years, so I'd stay away from those, but any other big-name brands should be OK.

What's most critical with respect to rings will be the end gap. Take your time, measure and remeasure several times before carefully grinding the rings to fit. And cleanliness cannot be stressed enough either! Even the smallest amount of dirt/contamination can cause severe scratches ones the engine is started so keep everything very, very clean.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks Michael, The shop i used originally was the one who put it togther and they told me that the rings move around alot during breakin and they should have seated correctly but i have had oil control issues from the begining.
    So I am leaning toward Total Seal because thats what alot of guys I know use. I Had considered a gapless ring. and its probably going to be in the 550bhp range with my setup
    Thanks