Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bellevue washer orientation (?

Thread: Bellevue washer orientation (?

SCH Member

I thought of this after I finished my rebuild/install (unfortunately)
    The bellevue washer has a convex and a concave side- wich side goes towards the drive balls?
    My GSS has been taken apart by a previous owner, I assumed it was in the proper position when I dissassembled and I'm now questioning that.

Does this help at all?

SCH Member
    Afraid not. That's the only exploded diagram I can find, doesn't show wich way the convex side is facing.

Hmmm... ok then, how about this?

Or this (I've omitted the large flange piece between the bearing race and the ball carrier)?

I should mention, this is based on my SN89; some of the parts in your GSS may look slightly different.

SCH Member
    Now you're just showing off :)

And yes, I too love your CAD renderings. These pics make it look like the convex side is facing away from the drive balls, wich means the previous owner of my unit installed the belleville waher backwards (and I followed suit).

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Now you're just showing off :)
    Sorry. Couldn't resist. :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    And yes, I too love your CAD renderings. These pics make it look like the convex side is facing away from the drive balls, wich means the previous owner of my unit installed the belleville waher backwards (and I followed suit).
    At least you haven't run the blower for very long with the belleville washer reversed. You can probably rectify the situation relatively quickly. Just remember to check the turning torque before buttoning everything back together and reinstalling the blower.

Senior SCH Member
    What CAD system are you using Mike? I have a guess but want to know. I've done some up in Pro/E myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
    What CAD system are you using Mike? I have a guess but want to know. I've done some up in Pro/E myself.
    I use two different CAD systems: Rhinoceros and Autodesk's Alias StudioTools. I use Rhino for geometric stuff, like the drive balls, ball carrier, impeller shaft, etc... I use StudioTools for complex surfaces like impellers and housings.

The renderings, however, are from a piece of software called Keyshot. I just import my model into Keyshot, apply my materials, apply an environment, set-up the shot, and hit the render button. In some instances (like the renderings above) I just took screen captures since I don't have to wait for the entire rendering process to finish.

The VR-4 impeller and scroll cover I've been working on are entirely modeled in Alias StudioTools. It's the software I know best and am the most comfortable with. It is THE standard in the automotive industry - virtually every company uses it.

ok smarty add the imperller and make it spin so I can down load it as my screen saver. Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 64wagon View Post
    ok smarty add the imperller and make it spin so I can down load it as my screen saver. Andy
    :laugh: It's funny you say that. I've actually been thinking about animating the ball drive assembly, just to see what it would look like spinning.

And don't worry, I'll post some more nice renderings soon. Still working on modeling a VR70 impeller. Once that's done, I'll get started on the SN-4 impeller.

BTW - I got your email. I apologize for not responding yet, but I will soon.