Thread: Head Gasket?

Head Gasket?

Hi! any body have a recomnendation for a SBC head gasket?

Thanks! Bill

The engine in my '89 Corvette is an iron block with aluminum heads. Based on the recommendation of a few people in the Corvette community, I went with a set of Felpro 1010. I replaced them about 6 or 7 years ago when the Felpro 7733 gaskets let go. Haven't had an issue since.

lol..guess I should have pointed it is Iron headed!

You can still use the Felpro 1010 gaskets. They will work with either iron/iron or aluminum/iron head and engine block combinations.

But I probably should have asked how much boost are you running with your application ? The 1010s I've used aren't being subjected (at least not right now) to any boost; I have no idea how they will handle it when I finally bolt up my SN89. I can only assume they will be fine, but I won't be able to substantiate it until I actually try.

Another option would be to consider a MLS (Multi Layered Steel) gasket. I believe Felpro makes them, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well. I know Honda has been using them on their 4-cylinders for years (ever since they introduced V-TECH back in 1992) and it's extremely rare that you hear of a Honda head gasket letting go.

I am running about 10 lbs of boost, (last time I looked at the gage) lol
    in addition, there is one of those little blue bottle thingies sitting there...I have yet to turn in on, but that's only a matter of time!

I have used a lot of MLS gaskets in motorcycle use, Have found myself looking at the Cometic's but was hoping to hear from the voices of experience!
    Thanks! Bill

I haven't heard anything negative regarding Cometic MLS gaskets. And at 10psi boost, I don't think you'll have any problems with them.

It wouldn't be until you started getting up above 18-20psi that I would start to consider O-ringing the block and running dead-soft copper head gaskets. And even then that might be overkill.

SCH Member
    I was always a fan of O-ring setups, but from what I've read about cometics- they do amazingly well. I'm running cometics on my 347 with no plans on changing.

Well, if you're running Cometic gaskets on another engine without any issues, then I think you have your answer:

Stick with a set of Cometic gaskets.