Thread: Which carb for a 144 B&M Blower????

Junior SCH Member

Which carb for a 144 B&M Blower????

Ok guys I came across a old B&M blower for basically free. I sent it to B&M to go through hone/reteflon/seals and bearings. I know NOTHING about blowers and have never ran one so for you guys that know blowers or this particular small one any carb info would help greatly. I have read tons of forums and a bunch of articals and have have so many diffrent ideas of what can work. This will be a around town cruiser not a strip runner. Here is the info on what I have and will be running:::::

B&M 144 Supercharger 6lbs boost pulley
    CHEVY 350 10:1 compression, flat top 4valve pistons, the cam has 218 duration on intake, 224 on exhaust at .50 lift
    HEADS are double hump heads that have mild porting and 202 intake valves and 1.6 exhaust., steel crank, je rods.
    TRANS is a 700R with a B&M shift kit
    REAR end is a 9' with posi and 4.56 gears
    TIRES on rear are going to be Hurst Cheater slicks 31" tall
    SCOOP will be a firberglass surfer scoop

Hope that is everyting you need to help me out.....to get to the question, Which carb do you guys think will work the best????? Just a standard old holley 750 double pumper(which I can pick on the cheap) OR do I need to spend to money on the 750 Holley that is set up with blower reference?? I was told that the one with Blower reference will run better around town and at idle.

On the standard 750 I will have to mess around with the jetting. Once the jetting is dialed in it will run just OK but still not as good as the carb with blower reference. I have also been told just to run the standard 750 Holley becuse the blower is so small and I'm only running about 6lbs of boost it is not going to make a bit of difference which carb I run.

Thanks guys for any further help on a good carb choice!!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tqz View Post
    Ok guys I came across a old B&M blower for basically free. I sent it to B&M to go through hone/reteflon/seals and bearings. I know NOTHING about blowers and have never ran one so for you guys that know blowers or this particular small one any carb info would help greatly. I have read tons of forums and a bunch of articals and have have so many diffrent ideas of what can work. This will be a around town cruiser not a strip runner. Here is the info on what I have and will be running:::::

B&M 144 Supercharger 6lbs boost pulley
    CHEVY 350 10:1 compression, flat top 4valve pistons, the cam has 218 duration on intake, 224 on exhaust at .50 lift
    HEADS are double hump heads that have mild porting and 202 intake valves and 1.6 exhaust., steel crank, je rods.
    TRANS is a 700R with a B&M shift kit
    REAR end is a 9' with posi and 4.56 gears
    TIRES on rear are going to be Hurst Cheater slicks 31" tall
    SCOOP will be a firberglass surfer scoop

Hope that is everyting you need to help me out.....to get to the question, Which carb do you guys think will work the best????? Just a standard old Holley 750 double pumper(which I can pick on the cheap) OR do I need to spend to money on the 750 Holley that is set up with blower reference?? I was told that the one with Blower reference will run better around town and at idle.

On the standard 750 I will have to mess around with the jetting. Once the jetting is dialed in it will run just OK but still not as good as the carb with blower reference. I have also been told just to run the standard 750 Holley becuse the blower is so small and I'm only running about 6lbs of boost it is not going to make a bit of difference which carb I run.

Thanks guys for any further help on a good carb choice!!

Tony
    If you want to run a Holley and don't want to spend a ton of money on
    a blower Carb give Holley a call they will give you an address to a web sight that shows how to convert a standard Holley to a blower carb.
    There is one passage that needs a hole drilled out and I think a certain power valve must be used. --easy modification--
    I did one but it has been years ago. Or if you just want to buy a carb ready to go for cheap drop me a message.

The problem with a roots type blower is that the blades going past the bottom
    of the carb sort of changes the vacuum when they pass buy and it drives the power valve nuts.
    I have been running Edelbrock's and have had good luck with them.
    Just pull the trigger and let it go,, This will work
    trust me

Junior SCH Member
    Oldfox thanks for the reply, I'll give Holley a call and try out that website you mentioned. Talked with them yesterday and they said I need to run ATLEAST a 750 or even a 850. Of course they wanted me to spend the extra money on the blower carb....(toooo much money for me). Let me see what I find on that website and if it's something I don't want to do I may take you up on the carb offer.

Thank you

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tqz View Post
    Oldfox thanks for the reply, I'll give Holley a call and try out that website you mentioned. Talked with them yesterday and they said I need to run ATLEAST a 750 or even a 850. Of course they wanted me to spend the extra money on the blower carb....(toooo much money for me). Let me see what I find on that website and if it's something I don't want to do I may take you up on the carb offer.

Thank you

Tony
    I don't have a Carb but I deal with a place that supplies them at a really good price. They set up the Edelbrocks that I'm running now.
    And with a roots type supercharger you run a carb a lot bigger than what you think you would and you will not run rich.
    Just pull the trigger and let it go,, This will work
    trust me

Junior SCH Member
    Well I thought I was just going to run into a carb problem but now I'm thinking I should also find some aluminum heads with bigger chamber than my double hump heads so I can get that compression down to more like 8 or 8.5, when I buillt the motor I wasn't planning on running a blower or I would have switched the pistons and eventually the heads. I will let you know though on the carb.

Thanks for the info!!!!