Thread: Blower car maintenance???

Junior SCH Member

Blower car maintenance???

Hello...my first post here:happy:

Back in the mid 90's I had a '87 Mustang with TFS Heads, Ron Anderson custom blower cam, and a Pro-charger w/2 core jntercooler. The car was built for mostly street use and was a maintenance disaster. The biggest issue was it required a steady diet of $80 belts. The company I bought the blower from suggested I try their cog drive kit and it would solve the worlds problems for a mere $650. I tried it and still couldn't keep a belt on it (only making 11-12lbs of boost after the intercooler). The car was a MONSTER and had tons of potential but I became frustrated and got rid of it for pennies on the dollar. Once I finally sold it I swore off supercharging and have since had good luck with head/cam, or Nitrous cars.

That said, I really liked the raw power of the blower car. I wonder if there has been any progress in the blower world? Is anybody making a blower capable of putting a mustang in the 10's that can run a whole season of street & occasional track use on a single belt?

I've been wanting to get back into a FOX body 'stang for street/strip.Maybe high ten's. Wonder (from a reliability stand point) if I should go heads, cam, spray...or a big blower? Obviously, a stout short block under which ever setup.

Thanks!
    Last edited by krinkov; 08-01-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkov View Post
    Hello...my first post here:happy:

Back in the mid 90's I had a '87 Mustang with TFS Heads, Ron Anderson custom blower cam, and a Pro-charger w/2 core jntercooler. The car was built for mostly street use and was a maintenance disaster. The biggest issue was it required a steady diet of $80 belts. The company I bought the blower from suggested I try their cog drive kit and it would solve the worlds problems for a mere $650. I tried it and still couldn't keep a belt on it (only making 11-12lbs of boost after the intercooler). The car was a MONSTER and had tons of potential but I became frustrated and got rid of it for pennies on the dollar. Once I finally sold it I swore off supercharging and have since had good luck with head/cam, or Nitrous cars.

That said, I really liked the raw power of the blower car. I wonder if there has been any progress in the blower world? Is anybody making a blower capable of putting a mustang in the 10's that can run a whole season of street & occasional track use on a single belt?

I've been wanting to get back into a FOX body 'stang for street/strip.Maybe high ten's. Wonder (from a reliability stand point) if I should go heads, cam, spray...or a big blower? Obviously, a stout short block under which ever setup.

Thanks!

This is going to hurt but.........

Sometime people are to stupid to own a modified car, or the shop that did the build was to stupid to figure out that if the engine was eating belts it was nothing more than an alignment problem of the blower to the crank. In the hands of the right person the fix is easy and there should not be a lot of maintenance especially with a serpintine setup.

Hi krinkov, and welcome to SCH. Glad to have you here.

There are lots of people on this forum that are running ProCharged Mustangs with 11-12psi of boost that don't need a steady diet of belts and definitely don't need an expensive cog-drive setup. I think mrtbolt64 isn't too far off with his response; a competent shop that knows their stuff would have diagnosed the problem as a pulley alignment issue and could have solved it without a lot of fanfare (and cost).

So to answer your question of whether it's possible to build a strong Fox-body 'stang that will run low 11s/high 10s without throwing a belt, the answer is absolutely YES! But it has nothing to do with advancements/progress in the blower world. It has everything to do with whatever kit you purchase and whatever shop you have install/tune it.

I really do hope that some of our high horsepower Mustang-driving members chime in here to give their $0.02 soon. I think you'll learn a lot more from them than you will from me.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    This is going to hurt but.........

Sometime people are to stupid to own a modified car, or the shop that did the build was to stupid to figure out that if the engine was eating belts it was nothing more than an alignment problem of the blower to the crank. In the hands of the right person the fix is easy and there should not be a lot of maintenance especially with a serpintine setup.
    No wonder this site is on it's last breath...with assholes like this representing I doubt it will be here much longer.

I posted elsewhere and it generated a slightly more productive discussion. Trust me my fellow stupid person...it was lined up perfectly but had flex issues.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/supe...belt-life.html

Quote Originally Posted by krinkov View Post
    No wonder this site is on it's last breath...with assholes like this representing I doubt it will be here much longer.
    As long as I'M AROUND, this site isn't going anywhere!