Thread: blower alignment issue

Junior SCH Member

blower alignment issue

Ok, have an 89 mustang with a procharger d1 12 rib with the renegade bracket. I have thrown 3 belts off the car already and cant seem to get the pulleys aligned.

This is what i have found. After putting the belt on and tightening it down, i put a straight edge across the pullies. My pictures came out shitty but i hope i can explain this. On the crank pulley, straight edge touching the outer edge of the pulley(the side that faces away from the blower) and the isdie edge has a .055" gap. on the blower pulley, outer edge(edge that faces away from the crank) is touching, inside edge has a .025" gap.

This tells me the blower is too far foward. Tried shimming by putting washers between the bracket and blower. I used a .060" washer, installed blower and belt again, rechecked alignment. Alignment is now .050" on the crank and .025" still on the blower.

If my math is right, it's gonna take close to 1/2" to shim it right. I am wondering if the heads where the bracket mounts to might play into this. I am running afr 165 heads. Can anybody shine some light on this and maybe help me out some?

I'm not overly familiar with ProCharger blowers, but you might have better luck to shim the pullies themselves (either the crank or the blower, but I think most shim the blower pulley) to get the alignment you need to stop throwing belts.

Welcome to SCH.

Junior SCH Member
    I have been lurking awhile, joined last year when i got my procharger kit and was trying to install it without the instructions from ATI or all the parts. Hence why i had trouble with the install. Now that its togther and finally tuned thanks to the pictures i found here of the procharger setups, i cant keep belts on for a full pass! it throws a belt right at the 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift. At first i thought i had the belt tension wrong, then it turned out the tensioner that came with the kit was bad. ATI said goto the lines match up on tensioner body. First tensioner wouldnt ever got close. Second tensioner hit the lines but the belt was like a piano string. When i threw the 3rd belt i started looking at my pulley alginment.

I am just find out about these belt alignment laser tools so i am gonna have here by friday and find out whats going on with the alignment.

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, my alignment tool is a no go. Do not use a dyco laser alignment tool. The tool does fit down in the ridges of the pulleys nor are they magnetic. My readings all over the place, from dead nights on to over 2 ribs off depending on what position of the pulley the tool sat on. I am ordering a gates one today so i will see how that one works out. so another 5 days of waiting tacked on this.

Sorry to hear about the Dyco laser tool problem. Are the pulleys on your car aluminum? That would explain why the magnetic thing wouldn't work.

Hopefully the Gates tool works better, and that you get this issue sorted out quickly.

Keep us posted.

Junior SCH Member
    I didnt realize they were alum, stupid me. I found the dayco tool local in the area while looking for the gates tool so i fugred i would give it a shot.