Thread: stroker question

stroker question

hey guys i just purchased a 383 that was balanced with a flywheel for us in a stick car im putting it in my chevelle that is equipped with a th400 what do i have to do to the flexplate since it is considerably lighter then the flywheel to keep the engine balanced thanks guys

Congratulations on the new purchase. Did you get your new engine from a local shop, or did you get it from one of the larger suppliers (Summit, Jegs, Golan, etc...)?

To answer your question, you need to use a flexplate that's balanced for your particular engine. Is the engine internally balanced? If so, GM sells two flexplates to fit your application. If not, GM sells a flexplate to fit. Does your new engine use a one-piece rear main seal? Is so, GM has three flexplates to fit.

I only mention that GM has products to fit your application because I have the Chevrolet Power Official Factory Performance Guide. I'm sure there are aftermarket products that will also work for you.

did you resolve your issue?
    what did you end up going with for a flexplate??

I ended up going with a sfi flex plate for a sb400 since they are factory externally balanced its been a few years now with no issues....