Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
READY TO TOSS THIS SN93 IN A DUMPSTER!, PLEASE HELP!

Thread: READY TO TOSS THIS SN93 IN A DUMPSTER!, PLEASE HELP!

Junior SCH Member

READY TO TOSS THIS SN93 IN A DUMPSTER!, PLEASE HELP!

To keep the story short and sweet we rebuilt this supercharger 2 summers ago with a kit from paradise wheels. Took it to be tuned in november and the thing didn't make any boost, took it apart again, did some adjustments and took it back to be tuned. Only makes 2.5 lbs boost at 4000 rpm then drops down to nothing the rest of the rpm range. Turning torque is 45 in lbs fully assembled. 6.25 crank pulley. 3.75 charger pulley. I'm totally dumbfounded, any insight greatly appreciated.

Craig

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    are you 100 % there are no leaks between the hoses and carb hat ?
    Do you experiance beltslip ? black pouder around the blower pulley.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    I had a couple bronze ball drivers that were slightly large over diameter. It caused me a bunch of problems and parts as the ball driver was rubbing inside the the race holders. It made the correct rotational torque, but actually I did not have enough pressure on the races. Ate up some races trying to figure it out. You could adding an extra shim in underneath the beville washer. It may have high initial rotational torque ratings, but might get the boost up.

I had a bonnet gasket leaking for awhile, and fixing that added a couple pounds.

Sounds like something inside is draging and not letting you get the correct rotational torque.

Junior SCH Member
    No boost leaks, no belt slip, I didn't see any black powder at the pulley either. Suede, you're leaning toward a bad ball carrier or something? Wouldn't adding more shims cause stuff to wear prematurely though?

SCH Member
    wouldn't it be better just to ship the whole mess to Paradise Wheels and not let it get you down ? Conley will find the fault in no time while you are sipping Margaritas without a care in the world.

Z.

'65 K code

Junior SCH Member
    Yea I know, that option is looking better and better despite the cost. I wish I could find one of those gear drive set ups for these things, the vr4 correct?

I'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues with your SN93.

Unfortunately, the VR4 isn't a gear drive. In fact, the drive system of a VR4 is identical to the ball-drive in your SN93 (except for a thicker bellevue washer). A VR4 is essentially just a larger impeller and scroll cover with larger volute opening, allowing more airflow and (ultimately) more boost. So getting a VR4 wouldn't necessarily solve your problem.

The only gear-drive setup that I've ever seen for an SN supercharger was a prototype system that never went into production. You can see images of this system on the Solanski Performance website. Do a Google search, I'm sure it will come up.

Junior SCH Member
    Yea i've seen photos of that thing, looks super knarly! I think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and send it in.

Thanks for the info guys, diggin the site, everyone seems real down to earth