Thread: FPR question

Junior SCH Member

FPR question

So there are alot of fuel pressure regs out there that are boost/vacuum referenced. I have a question about most of them. Say the regulator is good from 3-15psi and is 1:1 boost referenced. Say I want my baseline fuel pressure to be 12 psi and I'm going to make 7lbs of boost. If I start at 12psi and go up 7psi that is more than 15psi. Can I do that with this regulator. Will it go up past what it's able to be set at? Sorry if this is confusing, I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I can.

Junior SCH Member
    No help on this?

the fuel pressure reg base pressure can be set at/between 3-15psi.
    with 1:1 reference this means that in your example starting at
    12psi(base)fuel pressure +7psi more boost referenced pressure = 19psi of pressure when under boost.
    my set-up with a carb starts with 5.5psi(base)+14psi of boost ref.pressure= 19.5psi of fuel pressure at the carb when at full boost.
    so more to your question it will certainly go up past what-ever the base fuel pressure is set at. (base+boost ref.pressure=fuel pressure @ boost conditions)
    are you running a carb or what with a starting base pressure of 12-psi???

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/
    this is the regulator i use...

Junior SCH Member
    What I was asking is will the pressure with boost (12psi base + 8psi boost) of 20 psi be possible with a regulator that's rated at 5-13psi. Is that base pressure or base + boost ?

And it's a 90 TBI BBC. Runs around 9 psi stock, but I'll have to bump it up to compensate for heads, cam, intake, blower, ect. ect.

Quote Originally Posted by 454ssguy View Post
    What I was asking is will the pressure with boost (12psi base + 8psi boost) of 20 psi be possible with a regulator that's rated at 5-13psi. Is that base pressure or base + boost ?

And it's a 90 TBI BBC. Runs around 9 psi stock, but I'll have to bump it up to compensate for heads, cam, intake, blower, ect. ect.
    yes provided you have a fuel pump that can produce pressure and volume in excess of what you will be using.
    the rating of 5--13psi is your base pressure that the regulator is rated for.

Junior SCH Member
    Aeromotive A1000 should do the trick. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 454ssguy View Post
    Aeromotive A1000 should do the trick. :)
    that's what i'm running

Junior SCH Member
    Do you street drive your car very much. I read a couple of places that if they get hot they'll shut off. Have you had any trouble with this?

no trouble with mine,
    in their ad they had an impala car with over 145,000-miles on the same pump.
    it was all dirty and grimy, still worked perfect.
    the A1000 can also be installed inside the fuel tank and use the fuel to help keep it cool.

with fuel injection unit i was thinking you might need an FMU??
    they have different ratios to compensate fuel requirements thru an injector..
    i don't know much about them though...

Junior SCH Member
    Usually you are correct. I am will be using an aftermarket ECM (EBL from Dynamic EFI), but the TBI's only have 2 injectors and no one makes any that are bigger than the 454 ones (80lbs per hour). So what we do to get more fuel out of them is crank up the fuel pressure (some up to 30+lbs) so we don't over run the injectors. There is a point of diminishing returns though.