Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Problems with slip belt

Thread: Problems with slip belt

Junior SCH Member

Problems with slip belt

Hello my name is Gustavo and I'm from Brazil ...

I installed a ProCharger F1R in a 1991 corvette, the car has aluminum block brodix, set stroker 6.2, external oil pump, intercooler and many other things)

I installed a set system of a serpentine belt with a belt 8 ribs (Goodyear Gatorback)

The pressure of the car does not reach 10 psi and I see the dust belt pulleys ...
    The belt is slipping, I put a tensioner with a strong spring loads more but not resolved
    The pulleys are well aligned
    I am thinking of installing a timing belt, but I doubt that belt can withstand without breaking.
    I have space to install a belt up to 2 inches wide and I'm afraid this is not enough for this engine.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Supercharger: procharcher F1R
    7-inch crankshaft pulley
    supercharger pulley 4 inches
    5:40 ratio supercharger
    Max rpm: 7000 rpm
    Belt size: 105 inches

My doubt is: what is the best belt to install this system?(brand,size,material)
    2 inch wide enough not to break the belt?
    Thank you a lot for help

this is a photo of current system

Shot at 2012-02-17

Shot at 2012-02-17
    Last edited by retrorides; 02-17-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Nice pics. There is no way that setup will work with a single belt and running all those accessories. Its a nice looking design if you want a show car but........

You need to have one belt for the supercharger/crank only! If you choose to stay serpintine then try to get as much belt wrap as possible around the crank and blower pulleys. Seems most of the F1R's I see all have cogged belts on them. Maybe someone a little more familiar with the F1's will chime in

Junior SCH Member

Coated Pulley for Less Belt Slip

You could try this, I have no personal experience.

http://carbiniteracing.com/order/order.html

SCH Member
    Wow! That belt is really long even for an 8 rib. I had a novi 1000 single belt set-up like yours. although it was a 6 rib, belt slip was an issue at times. If it is slipping you should see it on the boost gauge under hard acceleration, The boost will drop and you may hear the belt squeal. If that is a new belt, you will see rubber around the engine bay and pulleys while it wears in for the first while. Hope this helps.
    306 stock block, tfs aluminum heads and stage 1 cam, cobra intake home ported lower, 65mm t body, 42lb inj, pro m 80 mass air, V2 SQ 16 lbs 3.33 upper 8" lower, upr boost pipe, 373 gears,= 530 rwhp + 520 TQ 10.84@ 121mph while shifting 5th at the big end :teeth:

Junior SCH Member
    I'm discouraged to use a belt with 12 ribs ... (I think it will slip)
    I just want to use ONE timing belt for the entire system ( i will make all new pulleys)
    Because I have little space to use 2 belts (I use a belt on the crankshaft to oil pump)

I give preference to use a timing belt

what do you think?????
    Last edited by retrorides; 02-17-2012 at 10:14 AM.

that looks impressive,
    but i must echo some points already made.
    i don't think that you will be able to tension the belt enough with the current set-up to prevent slippage, the 8-rib belt may get the job done, but there are issues...
    belts stretch alot after the initial run-in, and will need to be retightened after that.
    definitely not enough belt wrap on the crank pulley, it should look similar to your blower pulley wrap.
    also my 12-rib belt is only 1.75 inches wide.

goodyear gatorback or gates HD-fleetliner belts may be the best choice.
    i have had my pro-charger pulley treated to the carbinite process, it really grips now.
    but this will affect the belt life, this is the basic belt routing from procharger.
    you may need to reengineer your design to make this more go than show...

:(:
    Last edited by vinces427bb; 02-19-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    The slip occurs only in supercharcher pulley, not on the crankshaft pulley...
    I know because i see dust of rubber only in supercharger pulley

i really want install a timing belt , because i heard some people have slip problems with 12 ribs too...

I just want to use ONE timing belt for the entire system ( i will make all new pulleys)

I am afraid that 2 inches is not enough to withstand without breaking.
    because the timing belts do not stretch as the serpentines

what do you think?? tks
    Last edited by retrorides; 02-19-2012 at 10:40 AM.

it would appear that you could look into the carbinite coating of the blower pulley.
    one change could solve your slippage problems.
    the carbinite process will run about $110 on a 4" pulley.
    there are many mustangs are running 8-rib pulleys/belts at high boost levels with this coated pulley process.

i would not think using a timing belt would work due to the cogs being too short.
    there are problems with cog belt teeth being stripped off due to the engine slowing much faster than the blower, thats why they made the super pulley that will allow the blower shaft to turn faster than the pulley on deceleration.
    i suspect that with shorter teeth on a timing belt the slippage would be worse and belt damage would follow...

Senior SCH Member
    Do not run the carbonite all that will do is wear out the belt faster. Imagine running a flat piece of rubber over 120 grit sand paper sheet. The rubber being softer than the sand paper will be what wears out and fast.

The thing you need to keep in mind is with that supercharger as rpm climbs it could take up to 100 crank horsepower just to turn the blower.

If you made all that stuff I will say you have a pretty good imagination but you need to redo it. That supercharger needs to have its own dedicated belt only.

I know you talk about one cog belt to run it all but the bearings in the rest of the system like "alternator, water pump, powersteering" will not support the stress that tension the supercharger will present.

Serpintine belts require a lot of tension and I mean alot! Especially on a larger blower like an F1. Belt wrap around the pulleys is equally important. Get the most you can.

Cog belts can be great but they also have there problems. Even if going cog you still need to have it only running the crank, blower, idler pulleys. Again belt wrap and teeth engagement mean alot. If you do not have enough teeth engagement on the blower pulley and you peddle the car you stand the risk of tearing the teeth off the belt.

Can you move the engine back to gain more clearance? can you cut and move the cross member to gain more clearance for a longer pulley??????