Thread: Tuning

Junior SCH Member

Tuning

Just want to first start off by saying it is great to have this site up again.

Anyways, I have a question with tuning for a supercharger on my fox body mustang. If I have this posted in the wrong section please let me know or place it in the correct place.

I'm just finishing up with an engine build and going to be doing the tuning myself with an old ford EPEC module in piggyback mode. I'll be running with a novi 1000 and looking to make 8# of boost. I have the rest of the supporting cast to make this a real screamer, but need some tips on tuning. I have already used the injector offset from ford racing for the 42# injectors, have the function sheet imputed for the Pro-m Maf and that is about it. Unsure where to start with fuel/ rpm tables for idle-part-wot. Don't know what to do for spark tables, either. I do realize I will need to do some data logging to fine tune everything and also have a fast dual wideband to help out as well.

If anyone has a supercharge tune for this system or could guide me in a basic tune it would help me tremendously.

Thanks,
    Benny
    Keep the old school, old school

welcome to the site;
    any chance to find info already posted with a search?
    got no experience on the stangs...

Junior SCH Member
    I have tried that without any luck. Most of the sites have a link to another site which is no longer up and running. Even using the way back machine, I can't even pull up anything really useful. One site that looked like it had a lot, lost everything in a server crash. The places that even talk about the EPEC, are selling them or asking for people to pm them with a tune fine

Quote Originally Posted by 86notch View Post
    I have tried that without any luck. Most of the sites have a link to another site which is no longer up and running. Even using the way back machine, I can't even pull up anything really useful. One site that looked like it had a lot, lost everything in a server crash. The places that even talk about the EPEC, are selling them or asking for people to pm them with a tune fine
    i'm pretty sure the turboforums will have the info on the epec that your asking about.
    lots of good info there also, i've read alot about the DIY turbos and they show builds using whatever they can find to keep cost down...

bring back info you find to help others on this site doing the same type of build

Junior SCH Member
    Just my 2 Cents, But with your 42lb Inj, a MAF Properly Calibrated to the 42lb Inj, at min a Hi-Press 255lph Pump to be safe, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Set to 38-40Psi, Timing set at 10 Degrees and 93 Octane for any Detonation prevention, Would probably be a good start for you. But to be honest, It might be less of a hassle in the long run for you to just have it professionally tuned. AMP Performance in Arizona, Does Dyno Pulls at $100 for 3 Pulls I believe and Can probably help you out with what your looking to do if you don't live to far from them as I see you live in Texas, Might be worth a call. BUT Remember this too, Boost is also Dependent on a lot more then the Supercharger, Depends on your Intake restrictions and Exhaust. More Air In, More out = Better Boost =)

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco1976 View Post
    Just my 2 Cents, But with your 42lb Inj, a MAF Properly Calibrated to the 42lb Inj, at min a Hi-Press 255lph Pump to be safe, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Set to 38-40Psi, Timing set at 10 Degrees and 93 Octane for any Detonation prevention, Would probably be a good start for you. But to be honest, It might be less of a hassle in the long run for you to just have it professionally tuned. AMP Performance in Arizona, Does Dyno Pulls at $100 for 3 Pulls I believe and Can probably help you out with what your looking to do if you don't live to far from them as I see you live in Texas, Might be worth a call. BUT Remember this too, Boost is also Dependent on a lot more then the Supercharger, Depends on your Intake restrictions and Exhaust. More Air In, More out = Better Boost =)
    No worries with that, already have the 255lph installed, afr 185 with a systemax intake and areomotive AFPR. Only weakest link will probably be the 70mm tb and 77mm MAF. I will have to shop around here to see about cost of Dino pulls. I have PSI Performance near me, G-Force, and CUNDN. There are others just need to price them.

Junior SCH Member
    Actually, the 70mm TB is just fine, I am making over 400 RWHP on my LX with a 70. I would however, upgrade the MAF to a 90mm Lightning unit, just get it calibrated to you 42's, that way, you have plenty of room for future expansion. My philosphy has always been, to try to get the biggest stuff installed up front, that way you will always have it for future upgrades. Check Ebay, or let me know if you want that 90 as I can probably get you one Calibrated for around $150. As to your Tune, Frankly, your just about there. I would set your AFPR to 40psi at WOT to be safe, and run with it to see where it sits, make sure to keep and eye on A/F, don't let it go lean, run it rich to start, and adjust from there. a Wideband is a HUGE help when doing adjustments yourself. Then if it has any issues, then you can take it to a Tune shop, otherwise, Enjoy =)