Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Paxton VR-4 Setup, Some Numbers & Info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paxton VR-4 Setup, Some Numbers & Info

Junior SCH Member

Paxton VR-4 Setup, Some Numbers & Info

Hi,

Its been awhile since the site has been up and I am glad to see it is up again. =) . I was going to sell my VR-4 last year and install a V-3 Vortech, but decided to stick with the Paxton until at least someone makes me an offer I can't refuse to sell it =)

Anyway, I wanted to share a little bit of Tech #'s from my setup so some folks out there who have questions about the performance capabilities of the VR4 and what it is capable of. Now, keep in mind, this is what I have going on with my setup and it depends on your car and Tune, Etc, Yours will be different. But If my post can offer any insight, or even get any responses as to ways to improve my setup or help others improve theirs, then it helps =)

This Car is a 1993 LX 5.0 and so you know what changes i made over stock are:>> - Stock Bottom End with Forged Pistons and ARP Main, Rod Fasteners, MLS Headgaskets with 12pt ARP Head Bolts, GT40P Heads NOT PORTED, FRPP "E" Cam, 1.6 RRockers, Upgraded FRPP Springs and Retainers, GT40 Tubular Intake & 1/2" Spacer for Clearance issues I had over Valve covers, 70mm BBK TB, 38lb Injectors ( Fed by Walboro Hi-Flo255LPH & Stock Rail ), AFM Powerpipe with 90mm MAF, A/C Eliminated, Aeromotive Fuel Press Reg adjustable <- Important, GT40P FRPP Headers 1 5/8 and Bassani X-Pipe w/2 High Flow Cats, SCT Eliminator Custom Tune Done @ Performance Evolution in Smyrna DE on a SCT DynoJet.

My Power Adder setup - Paxton VR4 - Fully Rebuilt by Craig at Paradise Wheels a few years ago, Bosch Style Bypass, I also Installed the oil cooler setup, BUT, two things I added that were not included, I added a Trans Cooler that is for 35,000 GVW so its Bigger vs the Smaller one that comes with Craigs Kit, plus I installed an Inline HighFlow Trans Filter that has a Magnetic Element to catch any particles before going thru the Pump,
    I Ran Two Headunit Pulleys, the first, I had to change out due to To Flywheel HP being to close to 500HP, which my Bottom End would not take in its current state forever, The second is based off the Stock 4.25" headunit Pulley, But I had Craig make me a Custom 8 Rib 4.25" Headunit Pulley to stop the Uncontrolled Belt slip from using a 6 Rib.

Anyway, Here are the Numbers from my Dyno Pulls:
    - With 3.75" Headunit Pulley and 7" Crank Pulley, Both 8 Rib, Made 11.2PSI Boost And 422RWHP/488Torque @4600RPM ( Take 422 Divided by .85 and you get 496 Flywheel HP which is the borderline of the 500HP the stock Bottom End is good for before something cuts loose and this is if its built right. The .85 in case anyone is wondering is to account for the 15% or so loss of power thru the Drivetrain.
    - With the custom 4.25" Headunit Pulley and 7" Crank Pulley also Both 8 Rib, Made 9.0PSI Boost And 405RWHP/447Torque @4500RPM ( 405 Divided by .85 gave me roughly 476Flywheel HP which is a small buffer so I can build a better short block sometime next year to handle more power, But I spent a lot of $$$ getting a T56 Magnum setup to handle the torque going to the wheels, so the Bottom end is gonna have to wait.
    IMAG0648.jpg

Not to shabby in my opinion and I have the Dyno Sheets to prove it =), Of course its Not ALL due to the VR4 Blower, My Engine Breaths very well and all the Bolt On Parts: Intake,Exhaust and Mild Cam Compliment Each other well. So your Boost Numbers won't be like mine without having a good Breathing engine. Also, My Boost #'s come from the Vaccum Tree and NOT the HeadUnit. You get a Close to REAL Boost # at the Tree VS the Headunit ;-) Also, With my Lower RPM Max power #'s, I would think when I do build a better bottom end, I could Run a 3.50" Head Unit Pulley for more boost and not over spin it, But I don't remember what the Internal Limit of a VR4 is, Maybe Speedytang can chime in on that, I know an SN89 is 38,000 if i am correct.

In closing, for those who are not sure what supercharger to use, or do not have a clue or are sure of an old Ball drive, heres my thoughts. Its more fun to drive my LX with the VR4 down the track, Run Low 11's and be asked whats under the hood and to see them surprised an old Ball Drive is under there, then Running my 89GT with the Procharger setup I have. The VR4 is just plain cool to use if you ever get the chance to run one, but remember HEAT kills it, so don't go cheap when it comes to Not wanting to use an oil cooler, You have to, or it might not last long.

Questions, Comments, Opinions??? =)

My Very Best,

Chad
    Last edited by Sulaco1976; 07-29-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Also, I can post some Pics if anyone wants to see how I setup the Oil cooler, or Etc, thanks =)

that's dyno data,
    and the car runs low 11's on track,
    did you expect better track times with your dyno #'s???
    or is that consistant with what others are running?

Junior SCH Member
    Nope, I got a tad better then I expected for my track times on a 400HP to the tires car, My best ET was 11.08, worst was 11.33, I am not sure what others have been seeing using a VR4 as I have not seen any posts with True REAL #'s, then again, I haven't looked back in the posts that far yet. I think I can possibly ( If i can get my reaction time down better & utilize my Line Lock better then I have been, upgrade my rear from 3.73 to 4.56 with the T56's .50 6th gear so i won't be screaming home from the track at 4k RPMS @ 70Mph ) Get into the 10.90's, maybe even better with Slicks, VS Nitto Drag Radials. I have read some folks think very Highly of those Mickey T Drag Radials and they give better grip then the Nitto, but won't know unless I buy-em and ATM, money is a bit tight. Between my 93 LX and my 89 GT, this is an EXPENSIVE hobby :P and that damn T56 set me back $5800 total all said and done. I have a TKO600 in my GT and it was a cheaper upgrade BUT It does NOT like powershifting above 5k Rpms at all and that car makes Max Pwr at 5700RPM, hence going with the T56 in the LX.
    Anyway, thanks for your Question and Reply, Keep them Coming =)

I just hope to get more replies and see what may have been working for others and also to have a post for those who want some real world info and not just opinions as =)

Thanks for sharing all this great information and your experiences with the VR4.

Feel free to post pictures, especially those of your oil cooler setup. There have been a few questions from some members over the years re: oil coolers for their SNs so I'm sure others will find it extremely useful.

Senior SCH Member
    Yes i would like to see some pics too!

Junior SCH Member
    Sure, I finally figured out how to upload =) Heres a few, I can take even more detailed pics if anyone wants any, just let me know =)

Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sulaco1976; 07-29-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks for posting! Brilliant idea with the hold down spring for the oil cooler syphon/dipstick.

Junior SCH Member
    Heres a Few More Pics, I just took in the Garage, Some are Unrelated to the VR4, But you get the Idea of me just putting some in of my LX, Notice the Inline Filter in the first PicIMAG0685.jpg, Also, for those that may want to protect their Investment while they are away and protect against a possible Fire under the hood, I know a fella in the Fire Suppression Industry who sells a Kit for $250, Includes a 1lb Bottle of Halon, 4ft Hose and 286F Head that will discharge the Halon upon sensing a Fire. Just FYI and I Included some Pics, PM me for details and I will get you hooked up with his Info =)

My Best,

Chad

IMAG0684.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    hehe, I wish the Spring was my Idea, But I must be Honest, it did come with the Original Setup, I am going to figure out a More Visually Appealling way to do it, and when I do, I with post it for any interested party =), Stay Tuned for the Rebuild and Upgrades to my Cooling System sometime before End of August or maybe sooner =)

My best,

Chad

Senior SCH Member
    Where are you located at?

Senior SCH Member
    I see your running motorsport 9mm wires i tried them i burned wholes right through the coil wire, they couldn't handle the spark i was making.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Looks nice
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    Duke>>>>, I am in Delaware, I have never had any issue with the Ford 9mm Wires, I run the MSD Coil and 6AL Box with Rev Limiter, Stock Dist, I may Replace the Dist with a MSD Billet, But Only if need be, As long as it works, I see no reason to change it =) Just got all the stuff to upgrade my Head Unit cooling system, i will post pics when finished with it and its hooked up and operating.

My best,

Chad

Senior SCH Member
    I am running a crane hi 6 ignition and crane ps 91 coil at 3000 r.p.ms it sends a steady spark to the plug that's why it burned wholes through the coil wire, That's what the tech department told me at summit racing. I put the taylor spiro pro race wires on and didn't have a problem since.