Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
SN2000 Doesnt' spin freely without fluid, normal?

Thread: SN2000 Doesnt' spin freely without fluid, normal?

Junior SCH Member

SN2000 Doesnt' spin freely without fluid, normal?

My SN2000 is off the car and sitting on my bar in the basement while doing my engine rebuild...anyway, standing there the other day I went to spin the pulley and it's super tight, can't get it to budge. It currently doesn't have any fluid in it, is this why? I don't recall this when I initially took it off but I drained it later when I was polishing it. I didn't know if the fluid in it is what allows it to spin freely since it's a ball drive. It seemed to run okay when I removed it but only drove it on & off trailer when I bought the car b/c of a blown head gasket.
    1987 Iroc-Z, ZZ4, xr276 w/ 1.6's, TPIS Miniram, 42#'s, Intercooled Paxton SN2000, T-56, 3.73's, Full Hotchkis/Koni suspension, C5 brakes, 17" ROH's

1970 Skylark Convertible resto-mod, project on hold

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    It does not spin freely, what matters is, does is spin tight and not ratched ?
    The tight balldrive makes it spin with some force.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    by hand, neither my buddy nor I could get the pulley to spin at all
    1987 Iroc-Z, ZZ4, xr276 w/ 1.6's, TPIS Miniram, 42#'s, Intercooled Paxton SN2000, T-56, 3.73's, Full Hotchkis/Koni suspension, C5 brakes, 17" ROH's

Yeah, I was reffering it wrong, spining is not the word, turning it by hand is more like it, it needs some force to turn the pulley.
    Now if you take a VR4 you actually need 2 hands to turn the pulley.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.

Junior SCH Member
    I tried again and I guess with a little more effort got it to spin and after a couple times it started to spin a little easier...I guess it was just tight from sitting but seems okay now.

With oil it will turn better bud stil tight and heavy.
    Greets, Marco

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah, one of those oh crap moments though when I first noticed it but figured/hoped it was simply due to lack of oil...thanks!