Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

rear seal oil leak

Thread: rear seal oil leak

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar

rear seal oil leak

Yesterday I pulled my Novi 2000 to replace the rearseal becouse of oil leakage.
    I have installed the new seal, the old seal is something I have never seen before, it is 2 halfs and 1 O-ring in the middle.
    Oh and take extreme caution splitting the charger becouse the stock bearing come lose and sending all the bearing balls trough the garage
    I managed to find them all and are working on finishing it today.
    I wil take some pictures today.
    This is when I took of the rear cover:

Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Nice! Thanks for posting these pictures. I've never seen the inside of a Novi supercharger.

WOW! That impeller design looks to be considerably more advanced than the old SN impellers. Even the VR4 impeller looks dated in comparison.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

I replaced the rear seal today.
    The old I think stock seal uses an O-ring to seal it instead of a spring that all new seals use.
    Rebuilding these blowers is a quicky and easy, I feel bad just replacing the rear seal and not the bearings and front seal.
    I forgot to take inside pictures but you can find some on the net, here is the stock seal, it split in half when pressing it out ut you ca see the O-ring:

Last edited by pavement pounde; 09-08-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.

Did a small testdrive and no weird noises so I think I did good, now watch the oil usage.
    Greets, Marco

No more oil leak, so I am happy.
    Oh and for those who want to replace the rearseal, this is some info I got about the size of the impeller shaft and the serial number of the Novi 2000:

They changed somewhere in the 6xxx range...
    The 5,xxx range, and below, used the 35mm, and the 7,xxx range, and above,
    used the 30mm...
    Greets, Marco

Congratulations! This is great news. Glad to hear you solved the problem.