Thread: modifying Eaton M90 orientation

Junior SCH Member

modifying Eaton M90 orientation

Any losses in welding the back of an M90 up and cutting a hole in the top for a carb?

i would think so if this is a twin screw style,
    i believe it would make less boost as the air-charge would have less distance to be compressed..?

Junior SCH Member
    What got me thinking on it is that it is a roots type blower....basically a mini 6-71...compression would be at the top of the fins anyway, right? I know there would probably be less room for velocity...

Just thoughts, this is relatively new to me...

depending on what you would install on,
    i would look into fabricating a pan to mount the carb at the top of the SC assembly
    and tubing connecting the rear of SC-inlet to carb mounting area...

i have see ported outlets offered for these M90's also for better boost..

Junior SCH Member
    The whole setup is going on top of a GM 3.4l V6 out of a Camaro and being put into a 1977 Fiat 124 Spyder. The engine is getting 3500 heads and intake, losing the FI setup, and fabricating an intake to fit the hybrid setup.

The supercharger was an after thought of an idea that just sounded kinda' cool.

I can pick an M90 unit up at the boneyard for around $125 and machine all the parts myself. The only thing I'm leery about is the height of the whole setup...just the engine alone with the carb was going to leave the breather sticking out of the hood; that doesn't bother me (and is sort of what I wanted), but the added height of supercharger and pan and adapter has me going way out there.

maybe the FI is the way to go...
    sounds like it will package better in the Fiat

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinces427bb View Post
    maybe the FI is the way to go...
    I'm sooooo sick of FI. Everything I own is FI, my Caddy STS, the Eldorado, the Z28 Camaro....my kids Firebird...

When something goes wrong with it, I get sick of chasing it down....not to mention the cost of building a project car like this from scratch...MegaSquirt, injectors, MAP/MAF, TPS, O2, etc, and then tuning the crap out of it...ugh...

I know it would fit better under the hood, but I kinda' don't want it too...

how will the engine be orientated,
    will it be similar to a Fiero?? OR??
    what would you use for a carb?
    how many?
    390 or 450 holley
    400 or 500 eldebrock/carter
    single 350/500cfm holley 2bbl carbs
    it would depend on whether you want the 4bbl carb look or dual carb look
    update us on the build

Junior SCH Member
    '77 Fiat is longitudinal...and the motor is only 204 cid, so to use more than one carb would probably be way overkill unless they were 2bbl.

I was looking into the 390 to 450 Holley's at first, but have sort of been leaning towards Edelbrock . I know the Holley's are almost infinitely more tunable than the Edelbrock's, but I want this car more "just turn on and drive" and I'm not so worried about squeezing every last hp/tq number I can. The base N/A engine I had planned was going to be in the 240-250hp/285-300ftlbs range...which, for a 2200lb car, is going to be fun enough...

Then I thought about adding the M90 when I ran across it in the boneyard and was wondering about another 40hp cheaply? I would just be time involved...which lead me here...

With an engine that size knowing that it's in an Italian car, I'd say go for a set of Webers instead. DCOEs are easy to work on and tune, with a very long pedigree on both the street and the track... and let's face it nothing looks cooler than a set of weber stacks!

Besides, if you're going through the effort of modifying an M90, I'm sure fitting a set of Webers will prove to be easy in comparison.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    ... and let's face it nothing looks cooler than a set of weber stacks!
    I agree with this, I really do....however....dueling Weber's are a little more than I wanted to spend on this. I can get a new 500cfm 4bbl Edelbrock from the local speed shop for about $290...plus, I was looking for a street scoop to put on top...