Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New from Bay Area, California

Thread: New from Bay Area, California

New from Bay Area, California

Hello SCH. I stumbled on this site looking for information about the smaller roots blowers, the B&M & Weiand 144-177. My current project is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback, with a 318 I put together. This is what I did with the engine.

Its a completely stock bottom end from a mid to late 70's car. (cast crank, rods, pistons.) Its got keith black silvolite cast pistons that are .060 overbore, with 4 valve reliefs and they are .070 down in the hole...(remember late 70's low compression)

I did a rering job, honed the cylinders, emory clothed the crank journals and installed new main, rod, and cam bearings. Assembled the short block with a comp cams double roller timing chain, a timing chain tensioner from a magnum engine, and the MP windage tray kit, with a HV oil pump.

The cam & lifters I used is an Edelbrock Performer RPM kit. 234/244 @ .050 and 488/510 lift and a 112* LSA.

For the heads, they are the RHS/Indy X heads prepped by Brian @ Indio Motor & Machine, with 202/160 valves, 5/16 stems, and beehive springs for a lightweight valvetrain combo. They have a 62cc closed chamber.

I used Hughes Engines 1.5 roller rockers, and custom length comp cams chromoly pushrods.

The intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a holley 650 spreadbore carb. It is, IMO, a very responsive carburetor.

To finish it off, I used TTI 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers.

This engine is in my '68 Barracuda fastback, with an 8 3/4 and 3:55 suregrip. Rebuilt 904, red clutches, kolene steels, 4.2 lever, HD band strut, HD accumulator spring, with a TransGo II shift kit. 3000 stall PTC converter.

I haven't been to the track. I don't know what it runs, and I don't know what I have for horsepower.

It runs really good on the street. It feels fast, it'll chirp into 2nd gear all the time, and if I'm really on it, it'll spin the tires while shifting to second and I gotta let off...

Anyways...Sorry for the long winded post...

I am looking to add a little more power with a B&M 162 supercharger I bought. Everything will be here Tuesday. I'll post more pics. I am new to the supercharger world and I will have many questions...
    Last edited by mopardude318; 11-25-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    408 Stroker 530 HP 520 FT LBS

welcome to the site,
    a friend of mine got a stock 68 barricuda 318 car from his dad.
    i will be watching to see your progress

Great project, and welcome to the site.

What I love is that it looks like you've assembled that engine in your living room! That's awesome...LOL!!!

Thank you! I will post more as I have questions, and updates on my build. Yes Michael, I did build the engine in my house, and when it was done, it sat in the corner of the living room for about 3 months! LOL

I was able to finally get this kit. I found it from a guy in michigan. he was kind enough to hold it for me while i saved some cash for it....Completely new...everything is NOS never used. B&M 162ci blower kit for small chrysler.

I started to do some minor mock up today starting with the pulleys. Because I have an aftermarket set of billet aluminum pulleys, I needed to machine the center register on my crank pulley roughly .010" of an inch for it to fit over the center register of the blower pulley spacer. Luckily, my girlfriends brother is a machinist, and has a lathe in his garage. :)

Here you can see the center register does not fit inside the crank pulley.

So on the lathe it goes.

Now it all fits together nicely.

Here it is bolted on:

Now the next problem. In the already very tight engine compartment, my mechanical clutch fan blades hits the blower pulley! LOL

This shows you I cannot space my fan out any further, as I am already dangerously close to the aftermarket aluminum radiator.

SO.....I guess my current plan is to switch to a dual electric fan setup, which will be out of the way of the blower pulley....I will update the thread when i figure that out and get some fans mounted....

...whenever the hell that'll be....lol