Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
SN2000 Loud Whining After Sitting for a Year

Thread: SN2000 Loud Whining After Sitting for a Year

Question SN2000 Loud Whining After Sitting for a Year

I recently rebuilt the engine in my Lightning and waited for the motor to break in before I put my charger back on. I only drive my truck about 3 or 4000 miles a year, so the charger sat for almost a year before I finally put it back on a week ago. I did a lot of research before I put it back on because it always felt a little tight to me. It always spun with more than 25 in lbs of resistance, but the more I read, the more I realized that that could be alright. After about 50 miles of driving, it got pretty loud, so I pulled the belt off and drove it to my shop. I put the belt back on and took a quick video. I apologize, but I couldn't get it to imbed properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqae...e_gdata_player

I could hardly spin it by hand, but it was very notchy when it was turning. Right after the video was taken, I pulled the charger off and disassembled it. The only thing I could find visually wrong was a small chunk missing from the impeller shaft. I'm sure that means the balls must be messed up some too, but they look and feel perfect. Everything else looked good too, but I'm fairly unfamiliar with the SN series, so I'd like some advice from you guys before I order unnecessary rebuild parts for it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear about the SN problems. That sucks.

In this case, I'd suggest not only replacing the impeller shaft, but the balls AND races as well. They may not have any visible damage, but they are more than likely damaged. And for the cost of new balls and races it's not worth the risk.

Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Thank you for the advice Michael!

I haven't talked to Craig yet, so just going off of Cundn's prices, am I just better off rebuilding the whole thing for $100 more even if the bearings, seals and carrier are in great shape? I don't mean to sound like a cheap ***, but I am on a bit of a budget.

Craig's prices are lower than CUNDN's prices.

Trust me, I totally understand about wanting to spend as little as possible. But you'll find when you individually price the items you need, the price of a complete rebuild kit from Paradise Wheels will work out cheaper. And you're going to kick yourself later if you put the blower back together only to find a leaking seal 2 months in.

You're absolutely right! I'll just wait a bit longer and do it right, like I know I should do. Thanks again, Michael!

In the mean time, if you, or anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

For instance, maybe someone has had a similar noise and found that an unforeseen impeller clearance issue was part of the problem, but didn't find out until the charger was put all back together and reinstalled. Again, I'm not super familiar with the SN series, so I don't even know if that's possible.

Also, I've seen the exploded view of an SN charger, with torque specs, floating around, but is there a larger or even slightly more clear version of it? Or possibly a more current thread with viewable pictures and a list of those torque specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemelli View Post
    You're absolutely right! I'll just wait a bit longer and do it right, like I know I should do. Thanks again, Michael!
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemelli View Post
    Also, I've seen the exploded view of an SN charger, with torque specs, floating around, but is there a larger or even slightly more clear version of it? Or possibly a more current thread with viewable pictures and a list of those torque specs?
    I haven't seen a larger or clearer version of the exploded view. But if you zoom into the exploded view you should be able to read the torque specs.

There have been a few rebuild threads over the years with some good photos. You'll have to use the site's search function to find them though. I know Marco (Pavement Pounde) had a very informative thread at one point showing the tear-down and rebuild of his SN. Do a search for posts started by him and I'm sure it'll come up.