Thread: couple simple questions

couple simple questions

1: What stuff do you guy's use to clean your engine bays with? Remember I just hid all my wires and such, and need to do a major clean.

2: If you couldn't afford to paint headers and had to use paint which paint would you use? If there rusted, would you just paint right over them or what?

Let me know?

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

1 - Simple Green spray

2 - I would use a silver HTS paint, but I would sand the rust first.

Ian

thank you ian, simple green works for everything. It took a spot out of my carpet last week. lol

Brandon

I use nothing but simple green near any painted or polished alum. & Castrol Super Clean on anything else as long as there is no painted or polished parts near, also I use one of those cheapo $99 pressure washers. I too recommend sanding down the rust...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    if you can find it there is some stuff called red hot that you may find at you local parts store,when i was in the detailing car business we used it . you could use the stuff to clean tires, carpet and engines all you have to do is dillute it.you buy it in a 5 gallon bucket but it is alot cheaper that simple green.

Senior SCH Member
    I keep a bottle of simple green in my night stand. That stuff works great on everything. Seriously, simple green and a high pressure wash will make your engine as clean as new.

Let the simple green soak for about 10 mins then blast away.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

thanks guy's I'll probably be clening it up this weekend. What about simple green in the shower? lol

Brandon

lol you guys remind me of the father from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" always used windex as a skin irritation remedy. It works for everything!

Originally posted by RSNovi
    Let the simple green soak for about 10 mins then blast away.
    If you're planning on really spraying the engine down, make sure you cover the spark plugs holes and rotor so no water can get in. You may want to be careful around the alternator as well.

Call me old fashioned but I clean my engine with a bottle of de-greaser and a toothbrush . It may take a little longer than other ways but what else is there to do on those nights when you just can't seem to fall asleep :p
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    On the header paint, they all flake off eventually. There is a do it yourself ceramic coating that works very well, you can find it at techlinecoatings.com ... you need to get all the rust off your headers, I used the sandblaster to get mine sparkling clean, then you have to shoot the coating on with an airbrush or detailing airgun of some type. You can get enough coating for $25 to do 2 sets of shorty headers, or $40 for long tubes. I give this product two (unburned) thumbs up!