Thread: Gday From Perth Western Australia

Junior SCH Member

Gday From Perth Western Australia

Hi all just new to the forum and doing some homework on supercharging a 500 or 560 SEC Mercedes, In another life I was a fitter and first class machinist and have access to the gear to fab the bracketry, pulleys etc.
    My area of concern relate to the electronic side especially fuel management and ignition timing, If any one has any links to old threads on this issue It would be much appreciated.
    I'm thinking a self contained Vortec, Paxton centrifugal unit but am happy to be advised otherwise.
    Thanking you in advance
    Gus

G'Day and welcome to SCH! Glad to have you onboard.

The old Bruno Sacco designed 500 and 560SEC Benz' are some of my favourite cars. Classic elegance that you just don't find in modern cars.

You really can't go wrong with either of the two brands you've mentioned. Of course, I'm assuming you're referring to 'brand new' units. Vortech and Paxton Automotive are now one company and the products are very similar between the two in terms of performance and reliability. You may find a greater product portfolio with the Vortech line-up, so you'll be able to get something a bit more tailored to your application so you may want to keep that in mind as you conduct your research.

Of course, if you're looking at an older, less expensive (used) blower there are some significant differences. I won't go into a lot of details here - I'll let you search around the forums to find the deeper answers - but older Paxton products can be broken down into two categories: ball-drive and gear-drive. Ball drive blowers include all the 'VR', 'VS', and 'SN' (and the NoviGSS) series superchargers and used a silent (internal, obviously) planetary ball-drive system. These blowers are older and don't produce a lot of boost (5-8psi) but are easy to service and rebuild, especially for anyone with moderate mechanical abilities. The gear-drive units which include virtually all the 'Novi' (except the NoviGSS) blowers are extremely reliable, and can produce a lot of boost, but are more expensive to acquire and not quite as easy to service as the old ball-drive units.

Again, that a very quick overview but I do hope that helps get you started.

welcome to the site