Thread: SN2000HO on Ford Coyote 5.0

Junior SCH Member

SN2000HO on Ford Coyote 5.0

Opinions needed-
    I have a Fox body Mustang and putting in the new 4 valve Coyote engine. Stock heads flow almost 300 cfm and redline will be set around 7300. I am considering doing a custom build using a SN2000HO head unit that I own. Boost will be set at 6-7 psi max and ran thru a front mount air to air intercooler. Larger injectors and custom tune utilizing SCT software will be used.

I spoke to a local tuning shop who believes the blower will not support the air requirements (i.e. add very little or even choke the motor). I am not sure I agree as the head unit is rated at 850 cfm. The other concern I have adiabatic efficency of the Paxton and potential high IATs (cannot find an efficiency figure).

Realize a new Vortech YSI or Paxton NOVI is better suited but would like to use what I have ($$ for the new kit). Thanks for your help...Greg

Junior SCH Member
    They might be right. Between the under hood temp increase, the hot air it spews(the intercooler will help of course), and the tq it takes to run you might only gain 40-50hp. Plus you're going to have to really pay attention to your impeller rpm revving to 7300. I know my SN2000 is maxxed out with the 6" crank pulley and 4" head unit pulley @ 6k rpm

Theres a guy locally with bolt ons, e85, & lots of dyno/track tuning running a n/a coyote in the high 10's. So even n/a they have serious potential. Especially if you consider that was in the new mustang body which is heavier and he's dyno'ing mid 400whp

My opinion... Sell the SN and do lots of mods to the coyote motor, bolt ons, tuning etc

Junior SCH Member
    xoun - thanks for the reply. I calculated 850 cfm will support approx 565 peak crank HP so agree it is not worth the effort...