Thread: Advice please

Junior SCH Member

Advice please

G'day all,

I just bought a 1966 A code HiPo 289 Mustang Fastback in the States. It's a restomod with the usual suspension upgrades, rack & pinion, 4 wheel disc brakes, 9" & a Tremec 5 spd. It also has a Paxton Supercharger fitted

'66 GT350R 04 (2).jpg'66 GT350R 03.jpg'66 GT350R 03 (2).jpg'66 GT350R 05 (2).jpg'66 GT350R 07 (2).jpg

It didn't have a blower carby. It was running great but would suddenly cut out on the test drive so as part of the sale Flemings (the dealers) are fitting a replacement Holley 750 blower carby (their recommendation). However I've been trying to research that match up & a lot of people have fitted Holley 650DP on their Paxton Supercharged 289's. The engine in the Stang was rebuilt a few years back when the car was resto'd & is basically a solid but std HiPo. I have replacement Edelbrock E-street alum heads coming with the car to be fitted when it gets here (Western Australia) but the valve train is standard. Engine has ceramic coated extractors & most of the rest you can see in the pictures.

So first question is what is the best carby for this set up & what do you recommended for the jet sizes. I'm not street racing the car I just want it to be fun to drive & reliable. My second question is that I hear these Paxton Superchargers can cook the oil fairly quickly if your pushing the revs. Any feedback & potential fixes on that issue would be greatly appreciated.

welcome to the site
    i'm running a 750DP set-up by the carbshop on my 427bb
    seems like that size is too big for a 289-302 engine size
    i think there are a few previous threads that cover the carb mods needed/jets?
    try a search on this site,
    i think you may find info needed or another member has info needed

Junior SCH Member
    Cheers mate & thanks for the welcome