Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cooking/Melting Belts

Thread: Cooking/Melting Belts

Junior SCH Member

Cooking/Melting Belts

Ok guys i need a little advice. I am very new to the world of SC'd motors, and threw myself in at the deep end with a totally custom build...

Here's a bit about the setup. I have a Euro BMW E36 328 (1995 3 Series). I have the charger, Eaton M62, is mounted to the block and runs from the crank pulley. Pulley sizes are Crank : 133mm (5.24 inches), SC : 51mm (2.01 inches). There is a cold air feed into the charger from the front bumper. The pressurised air out of the charger goes into the FMIC, then through the throttle body into the inlet manifold. Between the charger and the FMIC i have a recirculation valve. There is a MAP sensor fitted to the manifold. All of this is running from an Emerald ECU.

Now i had all of this running fine for about 150 miles but on a base ECU map, at which point i swapped the recirculation valve for a Blitz BOV which vented to atmosphere. Directly after going to a vented BOV the car started cooking/melting belts. Naturally i removed the Blitz BOV and went back the the original setup, however i cant drive anymore than 1-2km before it cooks the belts.

Is it possible that the Blitz BOV has somehow damaged the charger? Does the Eaton type charger require the recirculation of air to keep it cool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    I do not think there is a relation between what kind of bov and cooking an belt, I take it that beltslip is your problem ??
    Try to keep as much beltwrap around the supercharger pulley as possible.
    A small 2 " superchargerpulley and a 6 rip belt is not helping either
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the advice, i will check for slip but it seems odd that it was fine for 150miles then only started cooking the belt after the bov change.

Another thing to note is that it blew the gasket on the outlet port at the same time as the bov change...

did the BOV cause the blower to work harder
    starting the belt slippage and possible polishing of the pulley ??
    is the grooves of the pulley shiney and worn down now???